Best hay?

I have complained over the last 2 weeks to Natures Own as I get the 3 types you get too but the last order was just full of short pieces of hay which the pigs can't use to snuggle into. First time this has happened with them. Did they offer to replace the hay or did you ask? Looked at the Ings Hay but £12 for 2.5kg whilst Natures Own £4.19 for 3.5kg.
Sometimes you pay for the quality. Keep in mind oxbow is £12+ for just 1.1kg.

Ings hay seems reasonably priced imo. I haven't tried it yet but will be ordering some in the next few weeks.

I've found the cheaper the hay, the worse the quality. It's either chopped into small bits, very dusty, brown, mouldy or damp.

It's also worth noting buying in bulk is normally cheaper. Obviously buy a smaller quantity to try first.

Sometimes you pay for the quality. Keep in mind oxbow is £12+ for just 1.1kg.

Ings hay seems reasonably priced imo. I haven't tried it yet but will be ordering some in the next few weeks.

I've found the cheaper the hay, the worse the quality. It's either chopped into small bits, very dusty, brown, mouldy or damp.

It's also worth noting buying in bulk is normally cheaper. Obviously buy a smaller quantity to try first.
Ours have always liked the Natures Own for the last year and I buy different types to mix in with the standard meadow hay that I use for bedding and they eat. Just the last batch was poor quality.

I have complained over the last 2 weeks to Natures Own as I get the 3 types you get too but the last order was just full of short pieces of hay which the pigs can't use to snuggle into. First time this has happened with them. Did they offer to replace the hay or did you ask? Looked at the Ings Hay but £12 for 2.5kg whilst Natures Own £4.19 for 3.5kg.
I sent them a message - kind of saying its not the normal quality and was it due to the time of year kind of thing - they replied with no it shouldn't be like that. I said I had placed another order and said i didn't want the same batch and he said he would pop a few extra in the delivery.. when it came they had sent 4 new ones so can't complain about that.... but the new bag i've opened is quite short now you mention it.. so i've mixed the dodgy bag with the new bag for them!

I normally just use pets at home’s own brand of Timothy hay. Occasionally I will go to my local pet store store and buy a bag of there economy meadow hay

I have bought the ings hay and the mixed Timothy and rye from hay-and-straw.co.uk. My pigs love both. I also tried the vale bale meadow hay recently and I've only just started the bag but the pigs seemed more interested in it than in veg! Maybe because there was only celery left... I buy the biggest bales from hay-and-straw and they come in a really sturdy plastic bag, which was super useful because I could open the (compressed) vale bale inside it and not have a hay explosion! Both seem good value. The Timothy and rye I bought back in may time was absolutely full of seed heads and was very popular, but the latest bag doesn't have as many.

Back