• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

bailey is unwell :(

• Thread starter Thread starter Rhona
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
it says its for all small animals so i will try it (i use it for my rats a lot)

also i have been looking on a site called guinea lynx and it suggests to weigh ill piggies a few times a day. i just weighed him and he is 1kg005g is that a normal weight?

hes currently snuggled up in a fluffy pouch on my bed ;D

:( he has been in the pouch since i put him in his cage :( i offered him a peice of carrot and he just sat his head on it :(

hmm il definetly say to my vet about it maybe there is something else we can try?

The Septrin that I told you about hun, it's an antibiotic and in my opinion (and uncle-Ton's), it's brill!

well I'm back from the vets, liz said to stop his baytril for now and she gave him a injection to get his tummy to work and a steriod to try give him a boost and some energy. i have to start force feeding him from tonight.

how do i force feed?!

ok.

You have to syringe feed him. If you have a blender, mush us his favourite foods with water for a soup like texture or get some jars of baby fruit :)

He's not eating at all by himself?

hiah i just thought you all would like to know the polyaid and daily essentials are ok for guinea's :D my friend who has a online rat supply shop phoned them as soon as it opened this morning to ask they (yep shes a star ;D)

hes a little chirpier but hes not really eating he ate his lettuce last night but none of his normal food and he left some of his lettuce so i am going keep force feeding him and hopefully wean him back on to normal food , he also has a vets appointment tomorrow if he needs it

I would try some metatone tonic too, if he does indeed seem chirpier than he has been.

It's a human medicine. A pick me up if we've been ill and are off or have been off food :)

mum works in the local supermarket and today our vet came in to see mum on her way home. Liz said since he wasn't eating right yet he was to go back tomorrow for another check up and she was going to do a bit of research tonight see if she can find some more suggestions as to why he is ill. his weight is still dropping but slightly slower now which is good i guess... I'm also making him take even more food at his feeds hopefully that will stop the weight loss. he is being ever so good taking his dinner and water but he just doesn't seem to want to do anything. he has always been a hyper wee guy who never wanted to sit still and def didn't want cuddles or lifted up! now he just lets me do what ever i want to him and he doesn't complain. the fact he isn't compaining shows that he really isn't well. :'(

Just saw your location and figured if our car wasn't being serviced tomorrow I would have offered to come take a look.

He really needs something to eat that is full of fibre - the stuff that he's getting just now isn't. Piggies need fibre - if they don't get it their whole digestive system shuts down. Is he drinking? If not, get some plain Dioralyte (rehydration fluids for humans) and feed that too. All the amounts needed are stated on this page here - http://www.guinealynx.com/handfeeding.html.

I have a tub of Oxbow Critical Care that goes out of date at the end of the month and I'm going to buy a new one. All my pigs are fine just now so it will just go to waste. If you want it, it's yours - I can post it to you and hopefully it would get to you tomorrow morning. My email is [email protected] which I can check at work.

That's a lovely offer Lorna :)
Yes i agree Bailey needs more fibre i've been thru this and still going thru it, Critical Care is an absolute godsend in this piggie household, thankyou Oxbow :smitten: :smitten:

ty daftscotlass that is such a lovely offer!

we are going back to the vets tonight as he seems to have been making some wheezy noises. but on the upside he has put on weight! and he ate 3 romaine lettuce leaves last night some cabbage and hay i have some mushed up food for him which i have force fed him, but on he whole it seems that we have his eating a little more normal than before. last night before i went to bed i had a bit of a bright idea. my dad used to have a lot of problems with his tummy (ibs and a ulcer) and he used to add bran to just about everythng for the fibre content. so now i am adding bran to his meals to try help him.

Great to hear that he has put on weight! Maybe the wheezing is part of the infection he has/tummy trouble maybe the start?

Goodluck for later :smitten:

hiah everyone. sorry i didnt report back earlier iv been knitting a ratty ( ;D)

last night the vets said she thinks hes def got some sort of infection which may have triggered the diaroha and the lack of eating which has only just showed up (the noise in his chest) he has been given some more antibiotics and another jab and guess what!

HES EATING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back