• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

bailey is unwell :(

• Thread starter Thread starter Rhona
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rhona

last night bailey cut his foot and it bled a lot, but he was fine but today his back feet were purple and he has bad diarrhea and his gums were very pale and his ears were very hot aswell.

i had a vet appointment for my rat who is just recovering from a opp so we popped him down aswell and his tempature was sky high she thinks he may have some sort of infection, and has given him baytril and also a jab to help settle his tummy and we have to go back in two days if he is no better, but we are really worried hes normally really chirpy and happy, so for now hes residing in my bed room in what is normally my rats cage(rabbit 100) ;D
does anyone know what this is?

ty in advance :(

I'm not 100% sure, but maybe it's happened cos he lost a lot of blood and it upset/hurt him?

Hope he gets better soon! :-*

oooo i never thought of that! I'm keepng a very close eye on him anyway ;)

Hope he gets better soon - he's a cutie. Must find the camera! Can I ask where you bought your hay rack? Mine is external and I think Barney has problems reaching it, would much rather have one like yours......currently adding some on the floor too, but its really wasteful as Fred tends to sleep on it too!

they were very redy purple earlier but now they seem very purple! but his toes are normal colour so i dont think its the circulation

the hay rack is actuall a "take me home" carrier, i got t when my rats were babies but never used it i wouldnt even put my gerbils in it now, ;D

Rhona said:
they were very redy purple earlier but now they seem very purple! but his toes are normal colour so i dont think its the circulation

Is he still walking, seem in pain at all?

Gently pinch/press them to see if he can feel them - not to hurt him, but just to make sure that it isn't circulation

Hehe, can definitely feel then! Hmmm I would say that it is the infection, but could well do with a vet check tomorrow in case :)

our vet will love us! ;D twice in as many days! although she does love wee bailey! he starts his baytril tomorrow aswell

That's what they are there for :) Out of interest, why start on the Baytril tomorrow? Why not straight away?

he had a diluted injection of it along with something to settle his tummy this evening at the vets. I'm not really sure why but i think its to sort of kick start him and then allow him to rest tonight..... :-\

hi everyone,

i just thought id let you know how he is , last night before bed i had him out to give him his lip cream and a cuddle and he was running a massive temp' i was soo worried about him but when i put him into bed he went straight for his lettuce ::) so i just watched him for a little while, and this morning i woke up at 7 and jumped up to check him, and he was havng a clean....anyway i got him out for his baytril and cream, and his feet are still red and warm but it is much less than last night! also his ears are looking normal today.

mum gave the vet a call and she said to keep a close eye on him and if he looks to be at all any worse take him straight down but as he seems to be improving it looks like a good sign :)

Awww Bailey you good little furbaby :-* :-* :-* :-* Great news O0
Well that's a relief for you. Now you can focus on getting him better and enjoying him :) :) :)
I even get up during the night to check on Duke, yep i'm paranoid ;D

he has been ok most of the day but early this evening he went into his "bed" and lay down and hes been really quiet. tonight i got him out for his med and he is burning up again his little ears are roasting and very red (they look like they have been burnt) iv given him some dinner which he is munching on just now but hes just not himself again :( looks like we will be off to the vets again tomorrow

Vets tonight :( he is now loosing weight and not drinking :'(

edited to add**

can i give him dr squiggles guardian angle while he isnt drinking?

I'm sorry i don't know what that is :(

Wishing you both all the very best :-* :-* :-*

Keep up fluids and try syringe feeding him mushed up pellets if you've not got any critical care :)

haha just realised i ment angel not angle :embarassed: ;D

i have copied the following from dr squiggles website about guardian angel

Guardian Angel (powder)

Comprehensive in-water or on-food supplement for sick or stressed animals. Immune support, probiotics, vitamins, minerals. Long-term energy.

Application: In water: 20g per litre or 1 level tsp (3g) for 150mls (do not use Aviclens with GA)
On food: Approx 1 gram per kg (2.2lbs) body weight.
Clean fresh water must always be available if Guardian Angel is used on the food. If calcium deficiency is suspected also use Calcivet.

Pack sizes: 40g, 80g, 300g

Active ingredients: Vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin), B6 (Pyridoxine), B12, Biotin, Choline Bitartrate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, C.
Minerals include: selenium, iron, cobalt, manganese, copper, magnesium, zinc, sulphur, sodium and iodine, potassium, calcium.
Allicin concentrate, glucose polymers, nucleotides, L-carnitine tartrate,
Freeze dried beneficial bacteria: L. casei casei 40 mil cfus/gram, E. faecium 120 mil cfus/gram

Shelf life: Normally 20-24 months

i also just found some of this....

Poly-Aid (powder)

Emergency nutrition for sick and injured birds and animals. Stop sick animals from starving.

Application: 3g (one level 5ml spoon) per 60g bodyweight twice per day.
Mix 1.5mls of water to every 3g of Poly-Aid and feed by syringe, crop tube or spoon. If greater dilution required to make swallowing easier then feed more frequently.
You can add Potent Brew to Poly-Aid but do not add any extra vitamin or mineral supplements.

Pack size: 40g, 80g, 300g

Active ingredients: Vitamins A, D3, E, C. Albumen, mineral salts, glucose polymers andVitamins B1 (Thiamine), B2 (Riboflavin), B6 (Pyridoxine), B12, Biotin, Choline Bitartrate, Folic Acid, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid.

Shelf life: Normally 20-24 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back