• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Automatic syringe feeder

Too late to edit so apologies for the double post.

I was just thinking about this some more and I can’t figure out what problem or issue the machine is trying to solve.

In all my experience an animal has needed a break, time to chew, to breathe and move about a bit. I’ve always used that break to change syringe or refill, or just watch and chat nonsense to piggy!

I worry it would be a big sloppy mess with food dripping out the pigs mouth if they weren’t taking it. Which would mean a bigger clean up and potentially more stress for the piggy.

You said syringes become old inside and don’t work as well, but I’ve never experienced that in the middle of a feed. I usually prep all my syringes and a bowl of feed and I’ve got everything I need with me and I watch tv whilst doing what I’m doing.

I’ve always gone into it knowing it’s going to take 45 mins or so to do the feed and it’s all dependent on the piggy how much they take and tolerate. Sometimes I’ve got a big feed in one go, sometimes barely anything.

So yeah, I don’t know if it’s something that really needs to exist for pigs? You said there’s always an aspiration risk, and there is, but I fear with a machine doing the work it’s always a higher risk. When I’m doing the pushing I can instantly stop because even if I’m watching tv I’m having to focus on the pushing and so it has my attention. If a machine is doing it and you are watching/focused on something else, then you don’t have that instant reaction time.

Sorry, don’t want to rain on your parade. It clearly has worked well for you and maybe in the future it would work well for many. I’ve probably thought about it too much and I apologise as I don’t mean to sound so negative about it. I guess it wouldn’t be for me.

Too late to edit so apologies for the double post.

I was just thinking about this some more and I can’t figure out what problem or issue the machine is trying to solve.

In all my experience an animal has needed a break, time to chew, to breathe and move about a bit. I’ve always used that break to change syringe or refill, or just watch and chat nonsense to piggy!

I worry it would be a big sloppy mess with food dripping out the pigs mouth if they weren’t taking it. Which would mean a bigger clean up and potentially more stress for the piggy.

You said syringes become old inside and don’t work as well, but I’ve never experienced that in the middle of a feed. I usually prep all my syringes and a bowl of feed and I’ve got everything I need with me and I watch tv whilst doing what I’m doing.

I’ve always gone into it knowing it’s going to take 45 mins or so to do the feed and it’s all dependent on the piggy how much they take and tolerate. Sometimes I’ve got a big feed in one go, sometimes barely anything.

So yeah, I don’t know if it’s something that really needs to exist for pigs? You said there’s always an aspiration risk, and there is, but I fear with a machine doing the work it’s always a higher risk. When I’m doing the pushing I can instantly stop because even if I’m watching tv I’m having to focus on the pushing and so it has my attention. If a machine is doing it and you are watching/focused on something else, then you don’t have that instant reaction time.

Sorry, don’t want to rain on your parade. It clearly has worked well for you and maybe in the future it would work well for many. I’ve probably thought about it too much and I apologise as I don’t mean to sound so negative about it. I guess it wouldn’t be for me.
I can only repeat that, for me and Grietjie, the machine worked wonderfully: it can be as “hands on” or “hands off” as you need it to be, if the patient needs/wants a break and does not move away herself, then you just move the feeding tube away or press the button on the handset, there is no more mess than with syringes (since the machine is designed to limit the mess!) and the patient can still take breaks, but now you do not have to fuss with syringes during that time but can rather cuddle with your precious one. I was never worried about aspiration; remember that you can adjust the feeding rate to very slow (or faster), and the patient seems to find a comfortable speed and rhythm. Personally, I do not understand how one can NOT have trauma with syringes unless, maybe, you literally have an unlimited supply of them and can throw each one away after a handful of servings.

My 1ml syringes last ages. I think I only used two for the whole 6 weeks I was syringing Pepper.
Same here!

I honestly can’t see any way this system would work for the guinea pigs that I care for. I’ve spent over 15 years, regularly syringe feeding a variety of guinea pigs, with various needs.

I don’t find syringe feeding to be a chore, or particularly time consuming and often use it as a way to encourage the guinea pig to eat for themselves. By giving around 5 to 10mls and then offering normal food, the piggy is more likely to start eating. You don’t want to just completely fill them up. I also find they want time without the syringe in their mouth, to manoeuvre the food around their mouth and then to swallow it. This encourages normal jaw movement.

I’m glad this system helped you, but I can’t see it would be of any benefit to me.

It sounds to me as if this clever device may be a blessing to some, even if not everyone would find it helpful.
Everyone and everypig is different.
I’m glad it worked so well for you
I hope it works well at the Exotic Animal Hospital and I think it’s an amazing creation.

My 1ml syringes last ages. I think I only used two for the whole 6 weeks I was syringing Pepper.

I got lucky and was sent some all plastic (no rubber inside) syringes by a friend in the US 5 years or so ago.. I'm still using the original ones for syringe feeds! I wish they were sold in the UK as they're brilliant, they would cut down on so much plastic waste.

Personally, I do not understand how one can NOT have trauma with syringes unless, maybe, you literally have an unlimited supply of them and can throw each one away after a handful of servings.
I'm confused ... what is happening to your syringes that they need to be tossed that doesn't happen with this machine? I replace syringes if they are chewed on the end. That is going to happen at the same rate to the end of the feeding tube of the machine, isn't it?
Or are your syringes having a different issue? What feature is preventing whatever happens to your syringes?

I use these syringes, for syringe feeding! They’re amazing and last months! They’re the small syringe out of the Loxicom for dogs. Our vets change the syringe to the normal 1 ml syringe when prescribing this for guinea pigs and then save the Loxicom syringes for me! They work a treat with the end cut off! 😊8CD5B4A3-036E-4950-B227-3D16D0267A52.jpeg

I'm confused ... what is happening to your syringes that they need to be tossed that doesn't happen with this machine? I replace syringes if they are chewed on the end. That is going to happen at the same rate to the end of the feeding tube of the machine, isn't it?
Or are your syringes having a different issue? What feature is preventing whatever happens to your syringes?
After a number of uses they become so coarse on the inside that they cannot be used anymore. This is impractical when having to feed large amounts of feeding paste to guinea pigs who cannot eat by themselves at all.

What does that mean? How can you tell they've become coarse? (It's not like you can stick a finger in and feel roughness.) How is this device exempted from this issue? Isn't the mouth piece the same material?

After a number of uses they become so coarse on the inside that they cannot be used anymore. This is impractical when having to feed large amounts of feeding paste to guinea pigs who cannot eat by themselves at all.
My syringes last for months! As I run a sanctuary for guinea pigs with ongoing health issues, many arrive unable to eat for themselves, so I do a lot of syringe feeding!

What does that mean? How can you tell they've become coarse? (It's not like you can stick a finger in and feel roughness.) How is this device exempted from this issue? Isn't the mouth piece the same material?
I can tell that they have become coarse since the plunger would not move easily in and out anymore. Yes, if you use a feeding tube as we described inside the end of the connecting hose, then it is the same material as the 1ml syringe, but it does not get coarse because there is no plunger moving up and down in it!

@smo so what is your long term plan with this device? Were you hoping to sell them?
No, we never planned to make money from this device or to produce them on a large scale. There are only three prototypes in existence: our own device for personal use, one for our Exotic Animal Hospital and one backup. In addition, my husband will make the plans available on the Internet as an open-source project, as he had said right at the beginning, for anyone, whether for personal or commercial use. Our only aim was to make life easier for some guinea pigs and their care-givers.

I just have high praise for the project. I would love to make something similar for my guinea pig Bart, that unfortunately is fully dependent on syringe feeding, and is taking a lot of my daily time to feed, and to be honest, is draining me a lot. Also, making something like this from scratch is hard. Is it possible to share whenever you can the project? I'm looking into DIY syring pumps tutorials but I would rather make something already working for piggies :) in any case, I see the logic behind this project, and made my day to see something I was dreaming to be true. thank you!

Back