• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Anyone who has used Baytril

• Thread starter Thread starter guinea_girl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
guineapigvet said:
If you cannot get this you can give half a ml of plain bio yoghurt per day.

I will say again, here is a quote from Guinea Lynx who, in turn, quote from two guinea pig medical textbooks. http://www.guinealynx.com/nutrition.html

On Dairy Products:
Harkness and Wagner in The Biology and Medicine of Rabbits and Rodents describe cavies as strict herbivores. They have this to say about milk:

"They [guinea pigs] require specific amounts of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium, and therefore recommending feeding table scraps (and vitamin D-fortified cow's milk) or other animals' feed may promote metastic calcification, acidosis, ketosis, or skin disease from vitamin A or D toxicity...."

The 1992 edition of Richardson's Diseases of Domestic Guinea Pigs compares cows milk with guinea pig milk, and in cases of loss of the mother, recommends getting the young off a replacer as soon as possible. Another reason not to use cows milk:

".....encourage the orphans to eat solid foods as early as possible as a high percentage of orphans which receive too much milk replacer develop cataracts and become blind. The development of cataracts is thought to be associated with the intake of too many complex sugars which are dissimilar to those found in natural guinea pig milk."

The pig doesn't need any other problems in addition to the ones he has already. My vet was also the first person to tell me not to use yoghurt back in 1999.

The best probiotic, believe it or not, is a poop from a healthy cavy. It can be mashed up along with whatever is being syringe fed. Other probiotics available in the USA are acidophilus and one called Bene-Bac, available in pet stores and from vets.

daftscotslass said:
The best probiotic, believe it or not, is a poop from a healthy cavy. It can be mashed up along with whatever is being syringe fed.

I have always done this whenever any of my pigs has been on Baytril, and none of them has ever had diarrhoea. - Obviously what I can not say is whether they would or would not have had diarrhoea if I had not given pig poo to eat, but as far as I can tell, it never did any harm anyway. Worth trying.

Yes, I have also used Riffy's droppings mixed with recovery food for Dr.

Yep also advised this method, but what do you do when you've only got one :(
I actually spoke to my vets assistant who's got heaps of piggies and she said if need be she'd give me a bag full of poops ;)

LMBO! You all are so funny! I wouldn't have to mash the poop up because Lenny would eat it right there! ;D

They think Lenny may have "wet tail" he has some liguid stuff for this to see because of the way I described it. She also said the yogurt was great, so I got him some all natural yogurt yesterday. Boy does he love it! :P

Sorry I havent gotten back on, but we have some totally bad weather headed our way. They are talking about tornadoes and I pray that nothing happens! Right now it is only raining, but the storms are coming through Alabama and will be here in a bit. Lenny did tend to poop a lot of regular yesterday but it is still wet. He steps on it and it gets all over his feet.

I just checked him out this morning and so far he don't have any poop on his bottom and his stomach is not NEAR as big and hard. Maybe it is doing something, but they told me it could take a week with the medicine.

Guinea pigs don't get wet tail - it's a disease that's specific to hamsters. If you get the liquid that's available for "wet tail" please bear in mind that it will do absolutely nothing for your pig which could make things worse.

It really sounds like Baytril intolerance. I would post over on the Guinea Lynx forums urgently and see what they think.

Hi all...weather is calm as of now but not over yet, so I wanted to post

As for the wet tail, yes, I did read that they don't, but the medicine said for diarhea and it also said for guinea pigs. I have used it since last night and I wanted to let you all know GREAT NEWS! Lenny is MUCH MUCH better. His hard belly is almost gone and his poop is back to solid (still a little wet some though, but not NEAR as bad) and he joined back with his buddy today and man did they have a fit! They were running and chasing each other playing and Chester was jumping and twisting in the air! It was so cute and funny! We let Lenny play in our huge wide hallway and he started running all over the house. He would find us and come sniff and then run really fast back down the hall and back and forth he went! He is VERY happy tonight and not sitting hunched up in the corner. Since yesterday I gave him the yogurt and that medicine and he is doing WELL! I am so happy for him and hope that it will totally pass soon. I would say by the next couple of days it would be totally gone. He is not bloated bad at all as of now!

Just wanted to post for a minute. Will try to get back on later if the storm clears! :)

Great news Dayna we're all very pleased for you, it's such a worrying time when our little ones aren't well :(
We'll cross our paws that you don't get affected by the terrible storms we've been reading about :o
Looking forward to your next postings about the adventures of Lenny and Chester :-* :-*

Storms blew over and we were lucky, but unfortunately many around our area and states weren't....many tragedies. :(

I bought a new piggie. I now have 3 and 3 is enough for now, LOL. His name is Ruxpin. I now have Lenny, Chester and Ruxpin. Ruxpin is tan and white. He reminds me of that electronic Teddy Ruxpin bear, so I named him Ruxpin mainly because of his color.

So, here are all of my babies! I will post a new picture thread on the photos section. Lenny is doing great now!

all3piggies.jpg

i have used live yoghurt as a probiotic with no ill effects.,I have certainly nev er had a antibiotic induced diarrheoa.Peter Gurney also used live yoghurt.I use the pellets from other pigs for boars who have severe impaction as they contain vitimin B.They are not a probiotic,.I do not endorse the Harkness and Wagner book because it is laboratory orientated and I am against the use of animals in laboritories.I would never give piggies cows milk to drink,and the yoghurt I use is normally from goats,but I have used yoghurt from cows milk with no problem. Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back