• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice on Pining Piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we seem to have found an answer to the loose poops with all the piggies - Vedra had them analyzed for us and it's shown microsporum :( however we are going to see her tomorrow so we can get their meds then. My vet was going to charge me £50 per pig per test - with Vedra it cost £12 for all three as she knew what she was looking for. Thank goodness for the CCT.

:) How relieved must you be :) I'm so pleased for you Julie, I know that money isn't always an object but at the end of the day we want to get the correct results too. I don't have an issue so much with the costs, in Berkshire business rates are high etc, but I do expect a certain level of service :)

It would be good to feedback to your original vet (for them to do what they want with the info ::) ). You never know it may help someone else one day and saysd to them that people do care enough to look elsewhere. Perhaps some vets won't regard Guins as disposable then :) You never know they may even be interested and willing to communicate with CCT :)

What is Vedra going to treat them with?,griseofulvin?. This is very interesting because I was unaware that microsporum gypseum could cause diarrheoa,but I suppose it could if the fungus became systemic.Strange though thata they have not had any obvious skin problems because mg is ringworm.

Glad you have got a diagnosis at last.

Hi Karen, yes, very relieved - I certainly will get more info from Vedra tomorrow and post it to the vets - as you say, they can do what they want with it then.

Hi Mary - the boys do not have the runs, just slightly soft droppings. Apparently microsporum is present through hay, veggies, grass etc - I thoroughly wash all my veggies for the pigs and give them Oxbow, so I can only think they have picked it up either from the Aubiose bedding or grass. They will be treated with Intrafungol (I think thats what it was called) for a week or so. Regarding ringworm, I really can honestly say that I cannot see any visual signs at all - we bathe them regularly in GG shampoos, Blaze has the the Coconeem Melt as well, yet he had the highest count apparently. We have now switched to ProFleece vetbed which says its resistant to bacteria, so hopefully that will help. I didn't think to ask on the phone if microsporum had something to do with Scampy's death, I shall see what she says in more depth tomorrow.

Thanks both of you for your help and support :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back