• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice Needed Please..

• Thread starter Thread starter PiggyWiggy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear the little guy is getting better :smitten:

Syringe feeding will only become easier with time and a routine O0

I'm sure there is an Oxbow outlet in Australia. If you contact them direct they will be able to tell you, some of the Oxbow Critical Care has probiotics in.

:'(

Evening everyone....
Sadly, Flash passed away this evening :'(

He was doing so well! He had really perked up. Chest was a lot clearer and he was eating better..I was just supplimenting with the build up feed.
We are booked in at the vets tomorrow evening...I'll have to phone them in the morning.

He was quieter yesterday but still better than in the past.
Today, the same.
He came out of his house today and sat by his dish just staring at me. I got him out and he spent the afternoon snuggled up on my chest. I put him back in his hidey then as I had to take DD to her drama class.
When we returned I looked in at him straigh away and he was sat on a blanket in the middle of his cage....he never did that, he was a shy thing that hid away!
So...out he came again....I had some water and supplement feed to give him. I swaddled him as I always did to feed/medicate..and held him like a baby. I knew then something was wrong. He felt cold and his lips were pale and I could see his top teeth. He refused the food and went to sit up...so I put him on the cushion, on my lap on all fours. Then he tried to crawl off...wason the sofa at the side of my leg..just lay there. Of course I picked him up but again he wriggled....I just knew he wanted to be alone :(
I said to my DS that he was dying...and I put him back in his cage. He then crawled to the side and lay down. His head on the plastic ridge. I had to move him. I put him on his soft blankets and covered his little body. Dimmed the lights for him.
He started chain stoking then. I knew this was it. Four he did. Then nothing. Waited....just incase of another gasp..nothing. I felt and DS did for pulse/heartbeat...he was gone though.
I covered the little mite over and went to break the news to my DD....(the piggies are hers) Bless her...It's her first experience of a death. Both DS & DD are understandably upset. She ran downstairs and picked him up, saying "no he's moving! Look!" Awww she's eight. DS is 12.
DS is asleep now. DD is downstairs with me. She's writing a card to put in his box :(
Before she came down I cleaned Flash's cage...laid fresh blankets. Wrapped him in a blanket and put him in a little box.
He's back in his cage, like that, now. Blanket over the cage to keep him warm :'(...One last night.
We are going to bury him, in the garden, in the morning.

Got to go now.
Thanks everyone

Cathy
XoXoX

Aw Cathy I am so sorry, its heartbreaking to lose one, especially after looking after him so well and Flash improving.

Thinking of you and your little girl

x

Aww Cathy i am so very sorry :'(

(((((((hugs))))))) to you & your children

Sleep in Peace Flash 0:)

Oh Cathy, i'm so so sorry for you all :'( :'( :'( :'(
You tried absolutely everything for little Flash... sadly he just was not able to respond :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I'm glad you were with him at the end, he knew how much he was loved and cared for :smitten:
Hugs for you all and piggie kisses from Duke for you all :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
RIP Flash, run free at the bridge you brave little man, all your friends will have greated you by now and showing you the best places for grass and dandelions 0:) 0:) 0:)

((((((Everyone))))))

Thank you all x

We buried Flash this morning in the garden, in the flower beds. Hubby did the honour of digging. A wet, cold, misrable day here today. Anyway, we all went out and said goodbye to Flash. Hubby has put a flag/slab over the grave and a pot duck on that. Grandma said she would get something for DD, so she can mark it properly. DD has been really upset last night and again this morning.

Bozzy (his brother) has moved into Flash's cage now. I disinfected it properly, new bedding etc. I know it seems too fast but we have to be practical as well. Flash only had his new home a few weeks and Bozzy was in the original hutch home underneath. I'm going to clean that out later, cover it with a table cloth and use it to store Bozzy's things in for now. I will freecycle it eventually but we need it until we get a proper stand for the cage.

Gosh I never thought I would get sooo attached to the piggies :(
I think with nursing him I had really bonded with him...just wish we had more pictures of him...only have a couple from when we first brought him home. I might email the rescue centre where they were from. I know there was a pic of them on the site before we adopted them. Maybe the lady still has it?

Do you think Bozzy will be okay by himself? I'm sure he'll get spoilt and of course he'll get all the attention now. I don't want to mate him. The other thing I heard about boars is that you can pair them but with a younger male....Don't want to though.
We will see how he is. I mean he hasn't shared with Flash for weeks now so is used to being 'alone'...we can give him lot's of company...even the dog kisses him through the cage!..she's an old girl now..

DD has a school friend comming to stay tonight...they were going to 'help' nurse Flash. Also DD is reading a guinea pig book at school...she broke her heart and said she will never look at the book again because the piggie looks like Flash..she was asking if Flash was Royal....said she's going to tell her teacher today. Bless her...she's gone in all loaded up with tissues! In her pockets, up her sleeves! She said she hopes she doesn't cry in assembly when they say prayers...awww

Anyway...Flash's suffering has ended. He certainly fought the good fight!

Big thank you to you guys for all the help and kind advice ;)

I'm not going to disapear....We still have Bozzy afterall! So I'm sure I'll speak with you all again around the boards.
Take care & big hugs to your piggies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm so sorry to hear this :( poor flash, you did all you could and nursed him well, i imagine it's really hard especially after looking after him like you did. RIP flash, love and hugs to you and the kids
Love Emma x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back