• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

5 year old sow diagnosed with crippling arthritis, is there any hope?

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is going to be an incredibly long post, a lot has happened and I want to tell you all the entire story, apologies for this!

My poor sweet girl Lottie is 5 years old and has been through an extremely hard time over the past week. It started really suddenly on Wednesday when I noticed she hadn't moved from her spot all day, she didn't want her veggies either but still ate hay, she was lethargic and depressed with inflamed, watery eyes, seemed uncomfortable in her back end, she also wasn't urinating or pooping much, she also dropped 150g in weight. My immediate suspicions were a dental or bladder issue.

I made her a vet appointment for Thursday, they checked her over but couldn't find any obvious cause for her symptoms, her teeth were a little long but not enough to cause issues, her temperature was normal, so it was a mystery. They booked Lottie in for Monday to have xrays, ultrasound and bloods taken. They prescribed her cat Loxicom (0.17ml once per day), Cisapride (0.09ml twice per day) and injected fluids, she weighed 860g and I began syringe feeding.

The next day Lottie actually got much worse rather than better, she became quite floppy and stopped eating all together, I honestly thought I was going to lose her that day as she really didn't look good. I got her an emergency appointment that day where they admitted her and did all of her scans early, she was put under GA for these as they wanted multiple views for a thorough investigation.

Besides being mildly bloated, the only significant problem they found was that Lottie has severe arthritis in both back legs, the stifle joints to be exact. The vet is confident this is what's causing her to be so poorly, they think she's having an acute flare up and the pain is too overwhelming.

They sent Lottie home that night with 3 doses of Vetergesic (0.09ml applied to the gums 8 hours apart) and Emeprid (0.45ml twice per day), injected more fluids and told me to continue her Loxicom and Cisapride too. Lottie didn't look great when I picked her up but we put it down to the pain, GA and opiate painkillers making her drowsy, her vitals were all good.

Lottie had a pretty rough recovery, for 2 days she was completely out of it and unresponsive, she couldn't even lift her head up, let alone eat, syringe feeding was a real challenge as she kept falling asleep during feeds so most of it came back out, she wouldn't take water either. She just laid sleeping in the same position, stretched out with her legs all the way out behind her. It wasn't until Sunday night that I started to see a little improvement, she was more alert and interested in her surroundings, holding her head up to look around, began grooming herself again, her eyes weren't inflamed or watery anymore, she showed interest in and ate small amounts of normal food, attempted to move a little, showed sass and fought me with syringe feed but overall she was still tired and slept mostly.

On Monday Lottie went back to the vet for her post op check, she has lost another 20g however considering the situation and her solely relying on syringe feed, the vet said it's not awful, I thought she lost way more than that. Thankfully Lottie isn't dehydrated this time, which hopefully means I'm doing alright with syringe feeding. Lottie was still lethargic, wasn't eating and couldn't move much, she's also developing pressure sores on her back legs from laying with her feet out, despite being bedded on soft thick fleece.

The vet gave Lottie a new medication to try, now she has gabapentin (0.04ml every 8 hours) and her Loxicom dose has doubled to 0.17ml twice per day. Lottie also got laser treatment on her back legs to see if it helps. The vet warned me that if she is no better by Wednesday, we should have her put to sleep as her quality of life is in question, she's not eating and we're struggling to manage her pain.

Lottie improved significantly after this appointment, it's almost like she heard what the vet said. Immediately after getting home she started standing correctly on her back legs, I hadn't even got her out of the carrier yet and she was constantly moving and turning around in there with her legs underneath her for the first time in a week. She did get tired quickly though and her legs went back out behind her, but to see her use them correctly for the first time gave me so much hope, maybe it's coincidence but I think the laser treatment worked for her. She also began eating too and gobbled everything I offered her with great enthusiasm, something I hadn't seen since before she got poorly.

It's now Tuesday and mentally Lottie is back to the way she used to be, her attitude, sass, personality, appetite and energy are all back. She has continued to eat everything in sight, she now wheeks again for veggies like she used to, she's always fidgeting and interested in everything going on, she's not depressed or lethargic anymore at all, she wants to be on the go and drinks from the water bottle herself again too.

I am very happy with her mentally and appetite wise, but unfortunately she's still not there physically. Her back legs are still stuck out behind her, but she does use them much more now, her feet at least are in the correct position and she has mastered the art of pushing with her back feet to 'crawl' around whereas before she would pull with her front end and drag the back, so she does have some strength and movement there, the issue is getting her legs underneath and standing correctly.

Another contributing factor is muscle loss, Lottie has essentially zero muscle from her hips down, the left leg is worse than the right. I am doing lots of gentle physio and water therapy with her to try and build muscle and keep her legs flexible but it's hard. Her legs are very flexible going backwards, but are very stiff going forwards, when I try to move her leg straight underneath her in a normal standing position there's a lot of resistance, I think this is why she is constantly laid with her legs out behind her. Laying like this is putting pressure on her stifles even more though and causing pressure points/sores so I'm not sure what to do for this. Pain wise she does seem to be much better, I feel like the main issues right now are stiffness and weakness rather than pain, even though I'm sure she is still feeling some, but not at the level it was.

I've also been giving her some assisted exercise which is her new favourite activity atm, she gets to explore and run around, but I hold and support her back end. She still moves her legs as if she's doing it herself so I think it helps build muscle without her having to deal with the weight. It's actually hard work for me to keep up with her lol, she gets so excited, wheeks, popcorns and everything. She loves this so much and seems to really appreciate my help, she has so much energy afterwards, it seems good for her mental health. I almost feel like she'd do well with a little piggie wheelchair...

Even though she is showing good improvement, the concern is that she may never be able to walk normally again or have a good quality of life. It's insane to me that she literally went from perfectly fine one day, to basically paralysed the next, I had no idea arthritis could be this severe so suddenly and it's breaking my heart seeing her like this. I don't want to give up on her so soon, she seems to want to live and try despite everything, I feel that she deserves a chance and at least a little more time.

The vet did mention physio therapy, aqua therapy, Epsom salt baths and laser treatment as options, I want to give these things a try at least. Lottie is back at the vet today and I'm worried they will advise euthanasia since she still can't walk, but at the same time I feel like we haven't done everything we could. I did ask about tramadol as I see many arthritic piggies doing well on that, but as Vetergesic made her so drowsy and killed her appetite, we worry it will have the same effect, however Lottie was on that while recovering from GA too, so I wonder if she'd do better on it now she's back to normal...

Does anyone have any advice on what we could do to give Lottie the best chance? I know the arthritis will never get better, but since she could walk perfectly normally right up to this flare up I keep hoping she'll be able to again. I feel wrong putting her to sleep so soon when she's only just started making progress and we haven't done everything we could to give her a fair chance or given much time, but I also don't want her to suffer or have a bad quality of life if she's never able to walk again. If this was your piggie, what would you do? Any advice, suggestions or support is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what's best, I love her so much.:soz:

Here's a picture of how she is laying all the time:
20220117_152812.webp

Here's a video of her tonight, as you can see she gets around by kinda crawling rather than walking, but she tries. She was very excited for veggies, you can hear her talking, bless her heart. ❤ (I hope the link works?) Lottie

Bless her. I don’t have any experience of these issues. But I wanted to send my support to you and healing vibes. Hopefully someone with more advice will be along soon. It sounds like you are doing all you can. I hope she improves soon.

I hope someone comes along with more advice soon. She certainly looks bright and interested in her food, I can understand not wanting to proceed to euthanasia at this point. ((HUGS)) to you. Keep up with the pain control, that's giving her a much better quality of life even if she isn't able to walk normally.

Piggies with limited mobility can still have a life worth living with a few modifications - you are not the first! Checkout the link here
Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

I had a girl who suddenly lost the use of her back legs but her loss was complete and was never recovered. She may well have been manhandled or dropped before we got her (little boys were involved) so it might have been the flare up of an old injury but who knows. She was mature but not old. She had no pain at all and ate and toileted normally - in fact the front end was completely functional (and did get a bit confused about the back end situation) so I just tried to modify her living arrangements. Everything was on one level - hidey shelves (we have ferplasts) had the side sections removed and towels draped over so she could just push in and out like a tent. Water bottles were lowered and bowls added. As she dragged herself around she actually favoured the areas which just had plain newspaper on at that time because she slid over the surface better but you girl looks like she can still get some purchase on fleece with her feet which is great.

The thing that finished off our poor girl was that she always sat in the same position, resting on one haunch, a bit like how a dog sits. Whatever we did she shifted back into this position and so after a few weeks and significant muscle wastage at the back she developed a huge pressure sore (about 2-3 cm) which quickly got infected and sadly that was that. The vet said that in this case she was in no pain simply because of the paralysis but that she would quickly deteriorate. As long as your girl can keep moving those legs even a little that will help to avoid this situation. And moving with arthritis will depend on pain control. You've done so well to get her through the initial crisis and I will say that at 5 years old, with the best will in the world, any long term plans might not be that long term, but in your shoes I would not be thinking pts while she still has such a lust for life (and veggies). That time may well come, but I don't think it's yet! x

I'm sorry Lottie is in pain.Tramadol should not make Lottie drowsy.its very good for arthiritic pain.would your vet be willing to use dog metacam/loxicom.as it is much more effective.ive one piggies on dog loxicom 0.5mls twice aday and it works well.Is Lottie the piggie that used climb the stairs,she is stunning.vet bed can be useful when she is not moving about as much.you are a very caring owner.i hope you and your vet can find the right dose of medication to relieve the pain.Gabpentin is good as well.

Hi

I hope that the practical tips in my mobility guide can help with the care and quality of life aspect.

Gabapentin has also recently started to be used in guinea pigs. It is especially good with spinal and neurological issues and can be used for arthritis if your vet is interested in looking into that?

Hi

I hope that the practical tips in my mobility guide can help with the care and quality of life aspect.

Gabapentin has also recently started to be used in guinea pigs. It is especially good with spinal and neurological issues and can be used for arthritis if your vet is interested in looking into that?
I'll take a look at that guide, Lottie is already on gabapentin (0.04ml every 8 hours) and it seems to help, they doubled her loxicom dose too, thank you!

I'm sorry Lottie is in pain.Tramadol should not make Lottie drowsy.its very good for arthiritic pain.would your vet be willing to use dog metacam/loxicom.as it is much more effective.ive one piggies on dog loxicom 0.5mls twice aday and it works well.Is Lottie the piggie that used climb the stairs,she is stunning.vet bed can be useful when she is not moving about as much.you are a very caring owner.i hope you and your vet can find the right dose of medication to relieve the pain.Gabpentin is good as well.
Yes this is the famous jumping Lottie, I do worry that the jumping she did in her younger years contributed to this, she didn't do it often and I stopped it completely at age 3. I asked the vet about it, she said it's unlikely to have caused this but regardless I still feel guilty. Lottie is incredibly special, she's treated like a princess and will get nothing but the best treatment, I'd do anything for her ❤

Thank you for your kind words, I'll ask my vet about switching to the dog loxicom and possibly tramadol too, she's doing well at the moment but if she shows any signs of more pain knowing there are other options is good 😊

Climbing up the stairs will not have caused arthirtisis,she is a very sassy lady .to keep moving helps both piggie and human arthiritsis.just another thought glucosamine can help.i use cystease tablets for cats as it has a good amount of glucosamine in....1 caspule aday added with 1ml of water.maybe ask your vet.its abit of trial and error,to find the dosage of pain relief which is best for Lottie.All piggies react differently to pain meds.Once you get the dose of pain relief that works,it makes so much difference.my piggie runs around now,without limitations.....he is 5 1/2 years old.keep us informed how you get on at the vets.hugs to you.

Wednesday vet appointment update:
The vet is very impressed with Lottie's progress since Monday, things looked so bleak then and I've been so worried about today thinking I could lose my best friend, but now there is hope and optimism!

Lottie has gained 30g since Monday and hasn't had any syringe feed since then, this weight is all her, she's eating and drinking really well so there's no need to syringe feed now. Due to this we're stopping her emeprid and cisapride, I'm still using up what's left of the meds but they're nearly empty so we'll see how she goes without them.

The vet was really happy to see how much better Lottie is standing and moving, of course she still can't walk properly and lays around most of the time, but the main thing is she can and is willing to move and doesn't seem in much pain, she's eating normally and gaining weight which are all good signs.

Lottie got her 2nd laser treatment, the improvement after this is remarkable, I didn't think it would help this much but the results are undeniable. Here is how she moved after getting back home today, look at those little leggies go and how she is holding her legs correctly underneath, I'm so proud! She still fatigues quickly though and lays in the same legs out position but to see she's capable of using them is promising ❤ she is going to have 2 laser treatments per week for 3 weeks since it seems to help and will hopefully start physio therapy soon.

Todays update: Lottie has continued to improve, she has graduated from crawling to walking properly. She's a bit stiff and weak but she's still doing it, I wasn't sure if she'd ever be able to stand or walk again so I shed a tear seeing this. I'm so glad we didn't give up on her😭
Lottie Floor Time 20/01/22

Todays update: Lottie has continued to improve, she has graduated from crawling to walking properly. She's a bit stiff and weak but she's still doing it, I wasn't sure if she'd ever be able to stand or walk again so I shed a tear seeing this. I'm so glad we didn't give up on her😭
Lottie Floor Time 20/01/22
It is so great to see when the correct meds can really make a difference, isn't it just? :wub:

Give her a bit more time; she may improve a quite bit more with the help of her meds. :tu:

It is so great to see when the correct meds can really make a difference, isn't it just? :wub:

Give her a bit more time; she may improve a quite bit more with the help of her meds. :tu:
It honestly is, I didn't think meds would be enough to get her out of where she was but it makes a gigantic difference!

The vet did say that once she's feeling better we can reduce her pain medication, do you think that's a good idea? I don't want her to ever get into that state again and it seems like what she's getting now is really helping...

They also said I could give her 0.34ml of cat Loxicom once per day, or 0.17ml twice, I opted for twice as after doing some reading on here I hear twice is better for piggies?

Ahhh bless her ,Lottie's doing really well :clap:
The loxicom is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller, so it's a double bubble :nod:

The dog version is 3x stronger than the cat version, although I don't think the dog version is licensed for use on guineas, but the cat version is. Possibly why your vet's preferring the cat version? I'd ask again about the dog version if possible though.

It does seem to be more effective as you're doing with the 2x smaller daily doses than the 1x larger dose :tu:

my dog was having laser treatment for her arthritis up until covid, it worked really well, she started off with 3x sessions a week & we gradually worked it down to once every 6wks & it was a definite improvement :nod:
She had it on 3 joints in her front right leg.

She's also on tramadol for the pain, it did make her a bit drowsy for about the first 1.5 - 2 days, but it hasn't affected her since :D

It might be worth tapering off any of the meds you're nearly out of, but still have some left for those weekend/ late night/ bank holiday moments when things normally decide to 'glitch' on us!?!

Sending healing vibes by the bucket load for the luscious Lottie :wub: ...& A hug for you as it's so draining to keep up with these poorly piggies! :zzz:
You're doing really well :luv:
Xx

It honestly is, I didn't think meds would be enough to get her out of where she was but it makes a gigantic difference!

The vet did say that once she's feeling better we can reduce her pain medication, do you think that's a good idea? I don't want her to ever get into that state again and it seems like what she's getting now is really helping...

They also said I could give her 0.34ml of cat Loxicom once per day, or 0.17ml twice, I opted for twice as after doing some reading on here I hear twice is better for piggies?

Twice daily is better. Please be aware that your vet has put you already on the lowest possible dosage of meloxicam;
but it depends on the combination of pain meds she is on.

Some of my small old ladies at 700-800g have been on three times your daily dosage of metacam (i.e. the same dosage of dog meloxicam) for more moderate arthritis than yours with it being the only analgesic used, and I have been higher with larger piggies for the long term.

So there is quite A LOT of safe leeway upwards for you to play with once her condition starts deteriorating again. Unlike other species, guinea pigs do cope a lot better with meloxicam (metacam or other generic brand names), even long term - but general vets not very experienced with guinea pigs tend to play it very safe in that respect.

You also have work out by trial and error just how little or much you can get away with but I would most definitely not go any lower! The next weeks will give you an idea just how much your lady is going to improve with having mobility again and you have to take it from there to learn how to manage her daily condition.

Unfortunately, it is cat version that has been licensed for guinea pigs even though it is generally the three times stronger dog version that is used by exotics vets - you go through a 10 ml bottle of cat metacam very quickly and it is a lot more expensive compared to a 30 ml bottle of dog metacam.

Sounds like you've worked wonders for Lottie! Getting through the first couple of weeks seeing how much mobility she can regain with enough pain relief is is the toughest part. Now she is mobile and isnt resting all her weight in the same place all day this will put less strain on her arthritic joints, and as she regains some muscle tone then the muscles will also take some of the pressure off her poor old bones.
We have an arthritic old girl too, she was very sorry for herself and we were wondering if she was nearing the end, but a couple of weeks of daily loxicom and vetergesic and we found that she naturally reduced her pain relief herself by some days being too lively to catch at medicine time!
So do be guided by your piggy, the loxicom is probably needed for life, as others have mentioned it is anti-inflammatory as well as pain relief so will stop things progressing to where she can't move again hopefully. The dose you have is very low, less experienced vets can often be overly cautious as if they are prescribing for cats, but piggies tolerate loxicom extremely well and metabolise it fast by comparison.
But paws crossed there will be days to come where she decides she doesnt need the gabapentin so much, and also with time hopefully your vet will trust you to make day to day pain relief decisions depending how she is, and you'll be confident to do that.
Six months down the line our vet now just gives us 10 measured out 0.1ml syringes of vetergesic and 15mls cat loxicom for Clover every month as a repeat prescription, and she can have up to two 0.5ml doses cat loxicom plus two doses of 0.1ml vetergesic on a very bad day- but mostly now she only needs this very rarely, and just one dose of loxicom to get her moving in a morning is enough most days, if I cant catch her because she's dashing about with her friends then I assume she is having a good day and leave her to get on with her happy piggy business!
Hope Lottie also reaches a stable pain-free state for you and has many more happy days x

It is interesting about the pain meds. George was originally on a lower dose than now twice a day - we've always done metacam twice a day - but after a couple of weeks he was still after the evening dose but dodging the morning one. And he really loves the stuff so it was weird having to catch him in the morning for this single dose whereas in the evening he'll come up to get it. So we went with him and we do once a day now. We just upped it slightly so it's not a 'double' dose.

He's lost a small amount of weight recently - 50g total - but is maintaining at the lower weight and having watched him stuff his face throughout the day I think it's because he's actually moving about more. The other thing is that he used to have fur caught in his lower teeth (in the gum pocket) every night and now he's clear for a few days at a time. The vet said that he nibbles at his achy joints like we might rub a sore wrist which is where the hair comes from. So I'm hoping that the weight loss and hair-free teeth are actually a good sign.

Your girl looks so much better, bless her. Tell us more about the laser therapy - how do they do it? I've not heard of this before and it sounds like something vets might use on other animals but might not think to use on piggies for example.

Twice daily is better. Please be aware that your vet has put you already on the lowest possible dosage of meloxicam;
but it depends on the combination of pain meds she is on.

Some of my small old ladies at 700-800g have been on three times your daily dosage of metacam (i.e. the same dosage of dog meloxicam) for more moderate arthritis than yours with it being the only analgesic used, and I have been higher with larger piggies for the long term.

So there is quite A LOT of safe leeway upwards for you to play with once her condition starts deteriorating again. Unlike other species, guinea pigs do cope a lot better with meloxicam (metacam or other generic brand names), even long term - but general vets not very experienced with guinea pigs tend to play it very safe in that respect.

You also have work out by trial and error just how little or much you can get away with but I would most definitely not go any lower! The next weeks will give you an idea just how much your lady is going to improve with having mobility again and you have to take it from there to learn how to manage her daily condition.

Unfortunately, it is cat version that has been licensed for guinea pigs even though it is generally the three times stronger dog version that is used by exotics vets - you go through a 10 ml bottle of cat metacam very quickly and it is a lot more expensive compared to a 30 ml bottle of dog metacam.
Wow, I didn't know her dose was low, she started out on only 0.17ml once per day as well, no wonder she picked up after doubling it. The meloxicam confuses me a bit because the brand name seems to have changed from what I'm used to, from my vet the cat version was always called Metacam and the dog version was Loxicom, but now they're giving me cat Loxicom which I haven't seen before lol.

I have been given the dog version quite a lot in the past, I remember the bottle is bigger, you get more medication, it was cheaper and the doses were smaller as it's stronger. This 0.17ml dose is similar to what they'd get with the dog version, with the cat version it was always about double that, so I did wonder if this dose is small. For the past year I noticed they don't give me the dog version anymore, not sure why. When I run out and need more I'll ask about this, since she'll be on it long term most likely the dog version makes more sense...

I snapped a pic of the one she's getting atm, going through it very fast lol, thank you for your great advice as always❤
20220121_233029.webp

Wow, I didn't know her dose was low, she started out on only 0.17ml once per day as well, no wonder she picked up after doubling it. The meloxicam confuses me a bit because the brand name seems to have changed from what I'm used to, from my vet the cat version was always called Metacam and the dog version was Loxicom, but now they're giving me cat Loxicom which I haven't seen before lol.

I have been given the dog version quite a lot in the past, I remember the bottle is bigger, you get more medication, it was cheaper and the doses were smaller as it's stronger. This 0.17ml dose is similar to what they'd get with the dog version, with the cat version it was always about double that, so I did wonder if this dose is small. For the past year I noticed they don't give me the dog version anymore, not sure why. When I run out and need more I'll ask about this, since she'll be on it long term most likely the dog version makes more sense...

I snapped a pic of the one she's getting atm, going through it very fast lol, thank you for your great advice as always❤
View attachment 194471

The active ingredient is meloxicam. Originally, the medication was called metacam. Loxicom, meloxidyl etc. did all come a bit later but some of them have now been around for a few years. In recent years, cheap generic brands with the same active ingredient have proliferated so there are a lot of new brand names to learn - even more so for different countries! UK vets buy what is cheapest from a reputable supplier.

It is interesting about the pain meds. George was originally on a lower dose than now twice a day - we've always done metacam twice a day - but after a couple of weeks he was still after the evening dose but dodging the morning one. And he really loves the stuff so it was weird having to catch him in the morning for this single dose whereas in the evening he'll come up to get it. So we went with him and we do once a day now. We just upped it slightly so it's not a 'double' dose.

He's lost a small amount of weight recently - 50g total - but is maintaining at the lower weight and having watched him stuff his face throughout the day I think it's because he's actually moving about more. The other thing is that he used to have fur caught in his lower teeth (in the gum pocket) every night and now he's clear for a few days at a time. The vet said that he nibbles at his achy joints like we might rub a sore wrist which is where the hair comes from. So I'm hoping that the weight loss and hair-free teeth are actually a good sign.

Your girl looks so much better, bless her. Tell us more about the laser therapy - how do they do it? I've not heard of this before and it sounds like something vets might use on other animals but might not think to use on piggies for example.
Aww I'm sorry your George is going through it too, it sounds like he's doing much better though which is good to hear ❤

Yeah I was a little stunned when the vet recommended laser treatment, I had no idea this was even an option and I hadn't heard of piggies getting it before. I don't get to see it happening, they take her in the back, apparently they put little goggles on her and use the laser on everything from the hips down.

I'm not exactly sure on the details about laser therapy but the vet wanted to use it to help with pain, inflammation, stiffness, circulation and encourage muscle growth etc. When we started Lottie couldn't even stand up, so this was kind of a last resort and I wanted to try anything that could help.

Lottie loves it too and just lays there, I think she likes the warmth. I was skeptical about this working but it really did help her and she improves after every session, so I have her booked in for a full course of 2 sessions per week for 3 weeks, it's only £7 per session too so well worth it for me, anything for my baby❤

Hey guys, just thought I'd come here again as yesterday Lottie started showing symptoms again, her legs are fine this time but she has slightly watery&red eyes, sleeping and laying in bed most of the time and she has lost about 40g. She is still eating, drinking and pooping but I don't think she's eating enough and is reluctant to move, she weighs 870g right now which doesn't sound bad but she feels very thin so I'm syringe feeding again. These are the same symptoms as before but less severe atm, but I'm worried it'll escalate like before, hopefully not.

She's still on the same dose of cat loxicom (0.17ml x2 daily) and gabapentin (0.04ml every 8 hours), she has her last laser treatment and vet appointment on Monday so I will ask when I'm there, but I want to ask here too, since she's having another flare up, is this just how the condition is or does it mean her meds need increasing or changing? Thanks ❤

Looks like we're going to the vet again today, Lottie just urinated and it looked like pure blood, her sebaceous cyst on her flank has also just burst and is oozing white gunk, combining this with another arthritis flare up, this poor girl is falling apart, she's lethargic and shivering so I'm worried there's an infection. She has been eating a muesli as a treat for a few weeks that contains purple/red beetroot coloured pieces however none of my 5 pigs have had red urine so I don't think that explains this... do you guys think this is blood? She didn't squeak when peeing. I hope the vet can give us an appointment today, only open for 3 hours on Saturdays. 😭
20220205_075604.jpg

I'm sorry, poor girl that sounds like an emergency vet appointment really is needed... hope the vet can fit you in as an emergency, if not it may be worth going to an emergency out of hours vet just to get some extra pain relief at least and find out what is going on... sending hugs, it's awful when things take a bad turn, especially on a weekend x

I'm sorry, poor girl that sounds like an emergency vet appointment really is needed... hope the vet can fit you in as an emergency, if not it may be worth going to an emergency out of hours vet just to get some extra pain relief at least and find out what is going on... sending hugs, it's awful when things take a bad turn, especially on a weekend x
We got one for 11.30, phew! Yeah everything always goes wrong at the worst times, sods law, its one of those days today😔 thank you ❤

Back