• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

13 day old Guinea Pig has mites can I use Spot on My Little Friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww glad hes got an appointment - why dont you just go to that appointment ? :)

I am going to take him but the idea of spot on him makes me cringe...
Have you not read the horror stories about spot on?

HonkeysMummy said:
No, why and where ? My piggys were 4 weeks and they had it and now are fine its only a small liquid whats so bad with that ? If it makes my piggys better then id do it to be honest ;)

I can't help you make your decision as i'm over the pond (aka in OZ) but love i'd seriously consider it.... you need to go to a vet's and i'd do it for your piggie :)
Good luck to you both :) :) :) :)

btw i know where you are :) my brother in law did his anaes course there a few years back :) and they (he and wife, my OH's sister have many many happy memories)

HonkeysMummy said:

Exactly, thats why you need to ask about the spray. The stories of pets dying after spot on was only the DIY BOB MARTIN one, not the professional one the vet uses.

I am taking him
but oh no, it contains pyrethrins you'll find that there is evidence they cause seizures and death in other species of rodent along with skin irritation in guinea pigs.
Ok I am over reacting, I am going to take him and he will be fine.

Only if overdosed! Thats why you need to take him to a cavy savvy vet! As I said when I took my 6wk old baby they gave me a spray, a HERBAL Spray called XENEX
Ask the vet, if he is any good he will explain all this to you - as mine did!

The BOB MARTIN spot on did cause deaths because the dosage was wrong, thats why everyone has advised you to go to the vets to get the best thing for your baby!

piglover said:
Only if overdosed! Thats why you need to take him to a cavy savvy vet! As I said when I took my 6wk old baby they gave me a spray, a HERBAL Spray called XENEX
Ask the vet, if he is any good he will explain all this to you - as mine did!

The BOB MARTIN spot on did cause deaths because the dosage was wrong, thats why everyone has advised you to go to the vets to get the best thing for your baby!
Completely true but my bubs were fine with the spot on and the vets just gave it to all 5 bubs of mine and gave an injection to the mum :)

I thought this baby has lice,not mites.Ivermectin products will not kill lice.

I personally would make up a small bowl of water with some Lice N Easy in it to make a soapy solution.Stand the baby on a towel,and drip the solution on with cotton woll.

I would then wrap the baby in a towel to keep it warm,and leave the solution on for just a couple of minutes.Rinse it off with cotton wool soaked in plain water.If you make sure the room is warm and there are no drafts from windows,he should be o.k.

This is just a suggestion,I have never done this myself.

The herbal lotion that Piglover has suggested sounds a good idea as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

He has static lice, the vet said they will not harm him and he will not treat him until he is 4 weeks old.

Oh well at least you know now, thats good! GG Manuka oil soak gets rid of them or good old Johnson bird mite spray - when he is older of course..........
Good luck with him, he'll be fine!

Awww bless him :smitten: Whats static lice mine have never had lice ? ::)

Static Lice

These are not lice at all, but tiny mites called Chirodiscoides cavia It's uncertain where they come from, but hay seems to be a major source. Some people even call them hay mites. They are very small and firmly attached to the coat, especially on the rump. They are grey and look dark on pale coloured pigs, whilst on darker colours they seem white. As they prefer to sit on the outer half of the hair, they never get in contact with the skin and never cause itching, even when found in huge numbers all over the body. Static lice are only found on cavies and don't necessitate disqualification at shows but are regarded as a fault if they affect the appearance of the pig.

Piglover, Thanks for that advice about GG Manuka oil, I will get some and use it when he is older.

He is happy enough, still popcorning every where in his cage, on my lap and on the PC key board where he does enjoy sitting.
The first time he popcorned on me I was scared in case he fell off. He loves climbing up my chest on to my shoulder, sits on his hind legs sniffing the air, while looking in my direction.
So he is a happy little boy, he licks me and then niddles my fingers but he does not hurt.

ahhh that sounds soo sweet - Mine have never popcorned on me ;D

aw thats so cute! mine dont popcorn on me either, you're very lucky! he must think your his mummy :smitten: he will trust you so much when he's older! x

Awww! Its great to have a fearless baby isn't it! My Bully was a right handful as a baby but he was great fun because he had no fear whatsoever and he was sooo playful as well as being very naughty!

Enjoy! :-*

Ooooo, only just read this. That sounds like good advice from your vet. When I got Timmy at 6 weeks old (though with more experience I now think he was only 4 weeks old) he had running lice. I did "bath" him using GG lice n easy but in a mixing bowl to minimise any stress, although I really feel it did stress him as Piglover said:-\ I followed the advice of the breeder, in hindsight, I should have waited as they wouldnt have done him any harm for another 2 or 3 weeks.

lavenderjade said:
Ooooo, only just read this. That sounds like good advice from your vet. When I got Timmy at 6 weeks old (though with more experience I now think he was only 4 weeks old) he had running lice. I did "bath" him using GG lice n easy but in a mixing bowl to minimise any stress, although I really feel it did stress him as Piglover said:-\ I followed the advice of the breeder, in hindsight, I should have waited as they wouldnt have done him any harm for another 2 or 3 weeks.
Ahhh right glad hes ok now then :D

He is fine, but is a mental piggie ;D He hates being handled but is confident but it takes two of use to bath him/groom him etc :P

lavenderjade said:
He is fine, but is a mental piggie ;D He hates being handled but is confident but it takes two of use to bath him/groom him etc :P
;D ahhh bless

[colorr]Mos Not: Mmbrs ar rmin to chck information bfor posting. Gorgous Guinas hav not sol any oil soaks sinc January 2007, th Mlts hav now takn thir plac. Any GG oil soaks that ar aroun now ar ol stock. Ths proucts hav a shlf lif, plas chck bfor us.

Plas contact [mail]info@gorgousguinas.com[/mail] for avic on th saf us of thir proucts, particularly on young guinas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the FORMAL notice Karen, but as you say I'm sure that anyone would notice it on that website anyway............

Don't use any of it myself but thanks for the notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back