• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

13 day old Guinea Pig has mites can I use Spot on My Little Friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a 13 day old pig and he has mites, can I use Spot On, My Little Friends?

The spot on treatment I use which is xeno 450 says not to be used on animals under 16 weeks. It would probably be best to speak to your vet. They may have something else that can be used on babies.

My babies had mites quite young too and i think the vets are the best option :D

Asking the vet is a good idea,but only if the vet is expert with piggies.At that young age you have to be very careful with drugs.

Ivermectin given by injection can be used at 3 weeks,but the oral route is not safe.

Is the piggy very itchy and scabby?,if the infestation is mild Chrissie at Gorgeous Guineas may have a melt/shampoo or lotion that would help.Would be worth emailing her first before you ring the vet.

[email protected] Chrissie answers her emails very quickly and send her products out quickly.

Many Thanks, I will email Chrissie.
He is not itchy, I just noticed these tiny white/brown flecks on his back at the rear, there are a fair few he I can tease some of his fur with my nails, as they are not on his skin, they are like tiny nit eggs the way they are stuck to the fur.

HonkeysMummy said:
Many Thanks, I will email Chrissie.
He is not itchy, I just noticed these tiny white/brown flecks on his back at the rear, there are a fair few he I can tease some of his fur with my nails, as they are not on his skin, they are like tiny nit eggs the way they are stuck to the fur.
Hi, by what you was describing there does not sound like mites ?
By the way who said it is mites ?
Your baby piggy may have lice or something :-\ as you cannot see mites and with mites they tend to be very scratchy and itch most of the time.

Let us know what the vet says and how he gets alonng ;)

I emailed Chrissie, amamzing within seconds a reply to say, he has lice (now I am itching :o ) and to use Lica and Easy shampoo.
So I will be out early tomorrow trying to find some.

HonkeysMummy said:
I emailed Chrissie, amamzing within seconds a reply to say, he has lice (now I am itching :o ) and to use Lica and Easy shampoo.
So I will be out early tomorrow trying to find some.
Hi i said it was lice didnt i ? As when you said you could see them i knew straight away it wasnt mites - Glad your getting some shampoo as this will ease his itching bless him ! :smitten:

I am not sure about this but I think Lice N Easy is only sold by Chrissie?.You would need to order it from her website,but you will get it in a coupla days.

maryh said:
I am not sure about this but I think Lice N Easy is only sold by Chrissie?.You would need to order it from her website,but you will get it in a coupla days.
Yeah, like maryh said i think youll have to order it from chrissie as ive never seen lice n easy in shops before ;)

As your baby piggy is nearly 2 weeks old he is TOO small to bath actually as ive just realised how small hell be :(

I bathed my 4 week old piggys and got a right shock at peoples comments as i just bathed him but if its a shampoo that you can use for about 2 weeks or so then itll be ok :D

I am not sure about bathing a baby that small as I have never had to do it.You can trust Chrissies advise though.I take it that you did tell her the piggys age?.

maryh said:
I am not sure about bathing a baby that small as I have never had to do it.You can trust Chrissies advise though.I take it that you did tell her the piggys age?.
Thats what i meant ! I am guessing she told her the babys age but if she didnt then maybe it is too small to bath them in any shampoo i am guessing ?

I have ordered it, I can use it on him but on the 2nd wash I am not to leave it on for 5 minutes but to wash it straight off.
I am to wash him in it once every week for 2 weeks.
I will report back how well he reacts to it.
Thank you for all your advice
Liz x

I really dont think you can wash a baby as small as yours at that age :o

Is anyone else agreeing that you can t bath a 2 week old guinea pig ?
I bathed my 4 week old bubs and loads of people were like you shouldnt bath them at that age ! :-\

I wouldn't bath a baby as young as that, if you take him to the VET they will give you some xenex spray that is suitable for baby use - make sure you go to a cavy savvy vet, I had a baby a year or so ago with mites and Anne gave me the xenex spray and everything was ok - its herbal rather than chemical and for this purpose. I definately wouldn't bath a baby that small..............

piglover said:
I wouldn't bath a baby as young as that, if you take him to the VET they will give you some xenex spray that is suitable for baby use - make sure you go to a cavy savvy vet, I had a baby a year or so ago with mites and Anne gave me the xenex spray and everything was ok - its herbal rather than chemical and for this purpose. I definately wouldn't bath a baby that small..............
Yeah thats a good idea the vets are the best option i took mine to the vets too and theyve gone now and that wasnt long ago a few weeks or so :D

Surely bathing the baby pig in gentle shampoo would be less invasive and distressing than being sprayed with chemicals? I'd just make sure the waterwas warm and he didn't get cold

Its not a chemical spray and its not an aerosol. Lavenderjade had a baby with mites that she bathed when young and it freaked him out totally, imagine how scared a baby would be being bathed?! The spray is just a gentle mist, much easier - you can even spray it on to your hands and rub it in gently.

All mine had at the vets was a spot on thing on their necks and that was it I'm sure thats ok too for them - Its best to go to the vets as mites are under the skin and youll need something strong ;)

I have rang 3 different vets and each said pop him down and we will put on a couple of drops of Spot On on him.... (and that it was normal to have lice or mites at that age, I have had many Guinea Pigs when I was growing up and none of them ever had lice or mites.)
I could do that myself! My mum used to own a pet shop but she does not want to get involved in case anything goes wrong :tickedoff:

At least this Lice & Easy Product, was recommended by Chrissie at http://www.store2go.net/shop/gorgeousguineas/
Lice 'n' Easy Shampoo:

Product Code: LICE20
Description:
If your guineas have ever had lice, you will know how difficult they can be to shift. Not any more!

Make parasites a thing of the past with our new
Lice 'n' Easy shampoo. Eliminates nasties without using chemicals - kind to the skin, tough on parasites.

Neem extracts are used in this shampoo which has proved higly effective in testing. Simple to use and with the woody smell of Cedarwood, this shampoo is a mjaor breakthrough for guineas with Lice.

It has the added benefit of making guineas with white hair look very bright.

When you are using the Lice ‘n’ Easy shampoo, most of the lice should be washed away with the first shampoo. One week later, repeat the two shampoos and any remaining lice / nits should disappear. If you have had a particularly heavy infestation, you may need to shampoo again after another week, but this is rarely required.

I was told as he was so young not to leave the second wash on but to was it straight off.

I live in Somerset so if anybody can recommend a vet, if not I am still in 2 minds what to do!

I personally would just do what chrissie suggested. I've never had any problems with her stuff and she makes creams etc just for babies so she knows what she's doing and what babies can have. In my opinion spot on would perhaps be a bit too strong?x

Hi
wll it says
[colorr]F GUINEAS VE 12 WHEEKS D.
D NT USE N PEGNANT SWS WITHIN 48 HUS F WMING YU GUINEA.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quotilovanimals ]
Hi
wll it says
[colorr]F GUINEAS VE 12 WHEEKS D.
D NT USE N PEGNANT SWS WITHIN 48 HUS F WMING YU GUINEA.

[/quot]An thats th shampoo ? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to sound harsh but PLEASE take the tiny tot to a cavy savvy vet! He is only 13 days old, 2 weeks just, no mum, and is relying on you to do the best for him, so you must take him to a vet a be guided by them, how bad would you feel if he died becuase he got cold from a bath or spot on was too strong? as I say sorry to sound harsh but this is a tiny baby you are dealing with and can't afford to second guess the situation.

I do not mean to offend, just want as you do, whats best for baby! ;)

I have got him an appointment at 5.45pm, I have rang a few more vets who all say they will put a few drops of spot on on him, I am not happy with the chemicals which are in it and I have spoke to the makers and it is made by bobmartin and they are telling me it IS a veterinary medicine which is in accordance with the Small Animal Exception Scheme.
If any body can recommend a vet within travelling distance please let me know, I am in Taunton.

Where are you? There is a list of recommended vets at the top of this thread.
Hope it goes ok x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back