Young GP

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for some advice on a cage transition for a baby.

I have a two month old boar who I picked up just last Saturday and he is the most boisterous and dramatic wee boy. For feeding I have to help him eat while keeping his older, heavier companion happy at the same time.
I have been trying to find the happy medium between letting him work it out himself and helping him when he is really struggling.
When eating big things that do not fit in his tiny mouth, he often ends up in a croissant trying to get the food in a good position in his mouth.
He has a big personality and will no doubt fight for food and would never allow himself to be bullied out of food but they are moving out to their hutch next week and I want to make sure he will be happy but also safe. Is leaving him to it best?

It is the bluebell hutch so it has that large gap at the stairs, which has never been a problem before even I have had quite a few babies, but this guy has zoomies all the time and would never want him to get hurt.
My mother suggests keeping them to the bottom floor for a bit, but he will still have to learn at some point so I am thinking I should find some way to close that gap a bit to make it more safe, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for covering this up.

In terms of learning things, I like to scatter feed pellets but when I tried the baby just could not grasp that they were on the floor and just ended up badgering my older boy trying to steal from his mouth that he got a big telling off and I had to put them back into a 2 bowl, bowl.
This may sound silly but is there anything I can do to help teach him this, I know he learns from my older boy especially when he is young but is there anything else I can do.

I have a bluebell (which is actually now two separate hutches - ramp removed, hole completely blocked) but prior to this i did make the hole smaller. I put a baton on the back wall. I also put a baton on the underside of the top level. i then put a piece of wood partially covering the hole in the floor and then screwed it to the two batons. I also added a banister so they couldn’t fall down what was left of the hole from the side

I would leave him to learn. Getting a telling off is part of learning. Perhaps you could try to get his attention and then scatter the pellets directly in front of him so he sees them fall. You may need to do if a few times but he may start to realise

I have a bluebell (which is actually now two separate hutches - ramp removed, hole completely blocked) but prior to this i did make the hole smaller. I put a baton on the back wall. I also put a baton on the underside of the top level. i then put a piece of wood partially covering the hole in the floor and then screwed it to the two batons. I also added a banister so they couldn’t fall down what was left of the hole from the side

I would leave him to learn. Getting a telling off is part of learning. Perhaps you could try to get his attention and then scatter the pellets directly in front of him so he sees them fall. You may need to do if a few times but he may start to realise
Is one level the minimum? I guess it would be as I know upper levels technically are not counted, but I never really thought about it, or is yours XL?

Should I start allowing him to eat his veggies on his own, seeming him struggle is somewhat upsetting but I understand he is fine so perhaps I should let him learn and just keep an eye making sure he gets enough in.

Is one level the minimum? I guess it would be as I know upper levels technically are not counted, but I never really thought about it, or is yours XL?

Should I start allowing him to eat his veggies on his own, seeming him struggle is somewhat upsetting but I understand he is fine so perhaps I should let him learn and just keep an eye making sure he gets enough in.
You can let him learn to eat on his own apart from his mate, as long as they eat the same foods, so his companion won't get upset when they meet again.

The XL measures 6 foot so meets requirements for two boars. Upper levels don’t count.

Mine has had many lives! It is the 5 foot version. It was originally used by Dexter and Popcorn but as they were in the shed, they were not shut into it
except overnight in winter. I then got a new 6 foot hutch for them, and the 5 foot was separated into two separate hutches and became a run shelter for one of my rabbits. Patch the rabbit then passed and Wilbur and Hugo piggies came along, fell out, and the hutch had to come back into use to get them separated and still be able to fit everybody in the shed (dex and pops were in the top, Hugo in the bottom and Wilbur alongside him in a separate cage). It’s now not in use again!

You could hand feed his veg and use it as a bonding experience with him

The XL measures 6 foot so meets requirements for two boars. Upper levels don’t count.

Mine has had many lives! It is the 5 foot version. It was originally used by Dexter and Popcorn but as they were in the shed, they were not shut into it
except overnight in winter. I then got a new 6 foot hutch for them, and the 5 foot was separated into two separate hutches and became a run shelter for one of my rabbits. Patch the rabbit then passed and Wilbur and Hugo piggies came along, fell out, and the hutch had to come back into use to get them separated and still be able to fit everybody in the shed (dex and pops were in the top, Hugo in the bottom and Wilbur alongside him in a separate cage). It’s now not in use again!

You could hand feed his veg and use it as a bonding experience with him
Sorry it was a bit of a silly question, I had just realised I had not thought about it but I was aware one level is was minimum… I think.

Yours certainly has had a lot of use, it’s quite nice the way it has sort of came along with you and your piggies and rabbits story.

It’s not as good as a whole shed, but my grandad is a great welder/maker so made me two runs and they are about 5x2-3 in c&c sizes which they get alongside their cage for around 14 hours a day, am I right in thinking this doesn’t count either since it’s not available all the time.

I will definitely do some more hand feeding with him, thanks!

Sorry it was a bit of a silly question, I had just realised I had not thought about it but I was aware one level is was minimum… I think.

Yours certainly has had a lot of use, it’s quite nice the way it has sort of came along with you and your piggies and rabbits story.

It’s not as good as a whole shed, but my grandad is a great welder/maker so made me two runs and they are about 5x2-3 in c&c sizes which they get alongside their cage for around 14 hours a day, am I right in thinking this doesn’t count either since it’s not available all the time.

I will definitely do some more hand feeding with him, thanks!

A 6 foot hutch is recommended size, not minimum.
One level is recommended.

Yes you are right - any area they don’t have permanent access to does not count

A 6 foot hutch is recommended size, not minimum.
One level is recommended.

Yes you are right - any area they don’t have permanent access to does not count
I have the 5ft one! But as it is 152x61, is this still recommended or is it minimum for two boars.
As I had a re-read of the cage sizing and it says 180x60 is the recommended for boars.

Sorry for the constant questions, I just want to clear it up as there is a bit of back and forth that I have seen online, and I appreciate your help!

I have the 5ft one! But as it is 152x61, is this still recommended or is it minimum for two boars.
As I had a re-read of the cage sizing and it says 180x60 is the recommended for boars.

Sorry for the constant questions, I just want to clear it up as there is a bit of back and forth that I have seen online, and I appreciate your help!

Sorry I misread and thought you had the 6 foot.

5 foot is minimum for two boys
6 foot is recommended

Reggie keeps bothering my old boy. He is constantly looking for food, to the point where he keeps nibbling on winstons ear and he even pulled out and ate one of his whiskers. This is mainly at times when they are taken out of the cage, but also at feeding times and anytime I enter the room.
In the cage aside from feeding times, it is the constant pushing around/past him.

My boy is getting older, he even got his first fatty eye. He has became a lot more relaxed and is constantly wanting to just lay about when I take him out of his cage, and the younger boy just will not leave him alone. He burrows under him, pushes him out of the way and he gets maybe a kick but I can tell my boy is fed up.
Is there anything I can do for my boy? I really do not want him to be uncomfortable and angry, which might end up in a fallout especially if reggie does not calm down before his teenager months.

Back