• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

YAY! *jumps in air*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Out of the 15 guinea pigs that came to us, 6 ended up having something on their skin that looked almost like a scab, but was raised and bleeding. I hit the internet with a vengence and read about what I thought it was, and what I should do. I started treatment immediately, and took them to the vet shortly after to make sure I was doing the right thing. She told me I was doing great, it may take a while but it will get better.

A tiny bit after that I continued to do research, and in one book I found three possible skin problems, all with the same solution- a Pyrthrin dip. Well, 4 of them were pregnant and 2 were nursing, so I found a sponge on and used that instead. Tonight, my Mum did the daily treatment for me (I truly don't think I could do this rescue without my family, they're wonderful) and called me over to look at one. I was thinking, "oh no, this can't be good" and instead the result was a guinea pig that was completely done and gorgeous. She's mostly black with some tan splotches, I'll take pigtures tomorrow. I'm so happy! We took her out of the hospital cage and put her in with another girl and they're getting along great. I'm so happy! YAY! ;D :) ;D :) ;D

Kimmie

YIPPEE that's great news, well done for all your research. Yeah family is great especially when you're all alike that way. Mine are sort of but not as fanatic (like totally) like me :D :D :D :D
Well done, hope they all recover as well :) :) :) :) :)

Kimmie thats wodnerful news I am so pleased for you, when we first got carrie annes first pig scooby he too had a scab on his back and ad rp of ivermectin works wonders, its lovley to hear your family help out as well O0

Hey you must be feeling quite good about this - well done!
I think Ivermec is a fab thing & there should be a rule that all pigs should be regularly dosed with it. I give mine drops of it orally & the difference in the pigs is amazing. Before I found out about the stuff I had one of my girls for years already & although she was a good weight her 'rump' was very sunken - after one dose of Ivomec she filled out nicely to match her belly!

Please can you help? I have been given Ivomec by my vet and I need to apply 3 drops orally to both my GPs. I don't know how to do this. (Have you seen the size of their teeth) Actually, my husband was bitten quite deeply and we are very worried now about going anywhere near their mouths. Please advise us how to do this.

Three drops as in liquid? If so, then you can do a drop on a carrot or something and have them in your lap eating it. And if someone else has a different idea let's have it!

Kimmie

Where do you get invermectin - does it have to be prescribed by a vet?

Alarna said:
Please can you help? I have been given Ivomec by my vet

She was :) did your vet give you as little dropper or syringe too? the best way is to go in sideways, behind the back teeth :)

I just put it into the side of their mouth - at the corner of the mouth.
Sit with them on your knee facing away from you is the easiest position I have found. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back