• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

xeno spot-on - ivermectin

• Thread starter Thread starter Buttons
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Buttons

Hi guys, this is more of a flag up than a query. I took cocoa to the vets this morning as she is scurfy and lost weight this week and as suspected she has mites. she is an old lady, 6-7 years old. The vet and i discussed whether to inject the ivermectin or use the spot on, which is less stress as it can be done at home. I chose the spot on as i also have a rabbit that needs treating so got spot on for both.
got them home, did the bun first then the pig. Cocoa let me put it on, took a couple of steps, staggered and fell over. she couldnt right herself and when i righted her she couldnt support herself. Whipped her straight up the vets again and we THINK she has reacted to the base they use to make the drug soluble enough to be spot on. she has had ivermectin before by injection and not reacted. The drugs company have been told so they are aware. It was not an overdose as she was weighed at the surgery to ensure correct dosage. The vet took her in, bathed her to get the residue off and kept her in for observation. she is home now, tucked up in the bathroom with yummy hay and apple. she is eating, drinking, weeing and poohing fine.
One other symptom, by the time i got back to the vets she was very sleepy and hunched up so definitely not right.
I guess my advice on this one would be to ask the vet to adminster the first dose and just wait a couple of mins before leaving if you have a pig who can be sensitive. i also accept that this is a rare case. cocoa has never reacted to any medication before.
Anyone else experienced this?
jess

Hi :) Mine had xeno spot on butt hey had their 1st dose at the vets to be sure :) they were fine thank goodness, poor cocoa, glad she seems better x

the reason i didnt have the first one done at the vets was i have used it before on a couple of other pigs without a problem. you live and learn every day!

Oh that is so awful, i am glad she has recovered so well. keep us posted

them

Sounds like a fungal infection to me (and possibly mites as well). Perhaps she had a fit when you touched her? What did her head do, if anything?

I've heard of a few guins that have supposedly reacted to one of the spot ons but this has been a skin reaction. If its fungal you should give a pain killer to a badly affected pig before treating.

i wont use spot on anymore if i can avoid it, i think its rubbish, but thats just my experience

thats aweful what happened to your piggy, hope she feels better soon :smitten:

there was no suggestion from my vet that it was fungal, she is very guinea savvy, does proper pig training and everything! bizarrely despite being unable to stand up she was still trying to eat :-\ i dunno, just know i will avoid it with her again and poss the others, and give her some tlc for the next couple of days O0

Scurfy indicates it is slighlty, at least, fungal. Any scurf thats in the coat is a fungal condition (dandruff), but to varying degrees of course :) I'd be treating for both. Who is your vet if you don't mind me asking :) Always good to know of good ones :)

when i say scurfy, her skin just looks dry there isnt dandruff. and she has small scabs rather than scurf. vets is beech house veterinary centre in bitterne, southampton.

I have used Zeno 450 on lots of piggies without any problem.I think maybe this particular piggy had an allergic reaction.This is making me rethink about using topical Ivermectin though,because one piggy with a reaction is enough to put me off.On the other hand I do not want to go back to injecting as it is painful for the piggy.Maybe the oral route is the answer.

i think if you have used it before without any problems and you find it effective then its worth using. i may still use it with the others just not with this pig. who is back outdoors being boss btw O0

HI guys just to update on this; cocoa was doing well, back outside and eating, drinking etc. sadly last night when i went to do the feed she was struggling to walk and was on her side. my vet thinks she had a stroke. i had to make the kindest decision for my old lady and she was PTS. I am missing her greatly as she was the noisiest little wotsit! They dont think it was related to the spot on but just felt the need to update. x jess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back