• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

X-ray, Bladder Stones

Queenjellybeany

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience with taking a Guinea pig for an X-ray?

My pig strains when she wees and squeaks, I predict she’s got bladder stones. She had a check up about two weeks ago and got loxicom to go on but is still showing the same symptoms, if not it’s getting more often. I’m very scared to take her tbh in case something happens.

Could anyone also tell me roughly how much this would cost? I’m going cat and rabbit care clinic in Northampton but I’m also moving house in the upcoming weeks so a lil worried about money x I’m still going to take her no matter the cost but I would like to prepare

UPDATE: I just got an appointment for first thing Monday and I'm so nervous for her c

She might not have stones as such but she might have a build up of sludge. But more than anything please rest assured that the clinic you are going to is very knowledgeable about piggies and they are also really kind to us owners. You can put yourself in their hands.

My vet charges about £80 for an x-ray and she does it consciously by wrapping piggy firmly in a towel so they can't wriggle away. If you have to have a little whiff of anaesthetic gas it might be a bit more. Then there will be your usual consultation fee. The gas is something the vet considers carefully but when they are checking for stones and sludge they sometimes have to have different angles and some piggies are fighty! If you phone the reception they are usually happy to tell you the rough cost but they will remind you that it will depend on what happens on the day.

My 4 year old girl has mighty big ovarian cysts and is being spayed on Monday morning. It's a nerve wracking time when you have to go to the vets. We'll be thinking of you x

She might not have stones as such but she might have a build up of sludge. But more than anything please rest assured that the clinic you are going to is very knowledgeable about piggies and they are also really kind to us owners. You can put yourself in their hands.

My vet charges about £80 for an x-ray and she does it consciously by wrapping piggy firmly in a towel so they can't wriggle away. If you have to have a little whiff of anaesthetic gas it might be a bit more. Then there will be your usual consultation fee. The gas is something the vet considers carefully but when they are checking for stones and sludge they sometimes have to have different angles and some piggies are fighty! If you phone the reception they are usually happy to tell you the rough cost but they will remind you that it will depend on what happens on the day.

My 4 year old girl has mighty big ovarian cysts and is being spayed on Monday morning. It's a nerve wracking time when you have to go to the vets. We'll be thinking of you x

ahh thank you so much that’s put my mind at ease! I’m thinking of you today too I hope it goes well 🤞

The guys at cat and rabbit are absolutely amazing, she will be in good hands.

Good luck today, let us know how you get on x

Just dropped them off they said they’ll need her to stay as they will gas and don’t do X-rays without a little bit just so they can get a nice clear one. Simon says he gets sent a lot of X-rays from other practices to have a look at and said they’ll be blurred and so hard to read which I found interesting. He also tested her wee and there was a very faint amount of blood. I feel awful with worry as I can’t collect them till 7ish tonight.

For future pigs going cat and rabbit clinic, the X-ray is costing me £300 and if they decide to remove bladder stones it will be an extra £300 (so £600). It is insanely expensive but I need her better.

Just dropped them off they said they’ll need her to stay as they will gas and don’t do X-rays without a little bit just so they can get a nice clear one. Simon says he gets sent a lot of X-rays from other practices to have a look at and said they’ll be blurred and so hard to read which I found interesting. He also tested her wee and there was a very faint amount of blood. I feel awful with worry as I can’t collect them till 7ish tonight.

For future pigs going cat and rabbit clinic, the X-ray is costing me £300 and if they decide to remove bladder stones it will be an extra £300 (so £600). It is insanely expensive but I need her better.
Glad she’s at Cat and Rabbit. They are amazing. I hope everything goes smoothly today. It’s awful waiting to get them back home. Good luck ❤️

UPDATE:

They just rang me I have been worried all day! It’s so horrible walking past their house and not seeing them waddling around.

X-rays are all clear, no bladder stones so they have said she has cystitis. Got an antibiotic, pain relief and anti anxiety medication. So glad we didn’t need surgery and so much peace of mind to know she’ll be okay. Thank you for the advice and love, I am so happy this forum exists 💖

Back