Wrong Grid Size?

rattata

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guinea folk!
I realised today that the c and c grids I bought to expand a Midwest cage are 7x7 instead of the usual 9x9 grid. Is this size potentially a danger to pigs? I’m preparing for adult boars.

On a side note; is there anywhere that sells second hand c and c set ups that also delivers, or at least just the coroplast by itself?
Thanks!

The holes in grids with 7 holes will be a risk of getting a head stuck. 9 hole grids are the safe option.
(Of my three (was four) adult boars, two of them (and one of them even moreso) are small boys and can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps so being adult doesn’t stop the risk)

Hi guinea folk!
I realised today that the c and c grids I bought to expand a Midwest cage are 7x7 instead of the usual 9x9 grid. Is this size potentially a danger to pigs? I’m preparing for adult boars.

On a side note; is there anywhere that sells second hand c and c set ups that also delivers, or at least just the coroplast by itself?
Thanks!
Hi!
You could try cage creations, they sell correx bases separately.
If you’re happy to shop on Amazon it’s worth looking at storage cube grids, as they are exactly the same for CC set up, but cheaper!

1722764354137.png

Amazon is definitely a good place to buy grids. Cage creations only do black cage bases which is not necessarily an issue. If you want colour, kavee deliver and there are some on amazon too.

The holes in grids with 7 holes will be a risk of getting a head stuck. 9 hole grids are the safe option.
(Of my three (was four) adult boars, two of them (and one of them even moreso) are small boys and can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps so being adult doesn’t stop the risk)
Thank you so much for confirming this for me. I’m really glad I double checked with you guys beforehand!

Hi!
You could try cage creations, they sell correx bases separately.
If you’re happy to shop on Amazon it’s worth looking at storage cube grids, as they are exactly the same for CC set up, but cheaper!

View attachment 254046
Hi! I actually did buy one of these, but didn’t double check the number of squares. I’m going to use it now as actual shelves

Amazon is definitely a good place to buy grids. Cage creations only do black cage bases which is not necessarily an issue. If you want colour, kavee deliver and there are some on amazon too.
Good point! Currently comparing all my options on Amazon vs cage creations etc. also saw a version on Zooplus where you can get a matching base with it too.
Just having to weight up all my (safe!) options now :)

Had a look today and cage creations do a 5x2 with base for £66, but there's a delay with delivery. When I had my cage on the floor I had interlocking foam mats underneath and had the fleeces folded up the side of the cage a little way. I only got the correx when I raised the cage because it looked nicer.

I still got caught out and got some 7 hole ones, you are not alone! I realised as soon as I started unpacking them. I made a storage unit for the cupboard under the stairs with mine which is really handy for piggy stuff.
I think as your grids are 30x30 (mine are 35x35) the holes won't be too big but there is a danger a piggy could climb over them. I know a certain American piggy youtuber uses them and has not had a problem but I wouldn't risk it.

Had a look today and cage creations do a 5x2 with base for £66, but there's a delay with delivery. When I had my cage on the floor I had interlocking foam mats underneath and had the fleeces folded up the side of the cage a little way. I only got the correx when I raised the cage because it looked nicer.
Ahh yes - was looking at foam mats just now actually! I was toying with the idea of turning tarpaulin into a base using Velcro, or one of those waterproof outdoor canvas table covers

I still got caught out and got some 7 hole ones, you are not alone! I realised as soon as I started unpacking them. I made a storage unit for the cupboard under the stairs with mine which is really handy for piggy stuff.
I think as your grids are 30x30 (mine are 35x35) the holes won't be too big but there is a danger a piggy could climb over them. I know a certain American piggy youtuber uses them and has not had a problem but I wouldn't risk it.
Glad I’m not the only one! :) I’m not sure if it actually stated in the description the number of square ;probably should have looked at the picture much closer!).
But I think you might be right that the grids being 30cm might be too small actually.

I do. The tarp I get usually has eyelets and I use cable ties to attach it on 3 sides of the cage. The fourth side is the one I usually cut but I leave it longer, to catch stray hay/bedding/food.
Ooh would you mind if I could see some pics? I was thinking of using those bungee loops you often get with tarps, or self adhesive Velcro stickers and hold the sides up with metal clips, or use a canvas outdoor table cover.
I’ve made a “hay mate” similar to what Cage Creations sell, but now unsure if it’s a good idea for 2 boars?

Thank you so much @Lorcan - that’s awesome and really helpful! Also your 2 piggie masters are very cute indeed! 😁

Back