• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worried new owner, skin condition

Coco&fudge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’ve just found a skin problem on one of my guinea pigs and I’m hoping you can put my mind at ease until I can get him to a vet tomorrow. We have had our two boys for just over a week and this evening on the top of cocos head, I noticed a built-up patch of skin that is white in colour and he appears to be losing the hair where the skin is affected.

There are small patches of blood but I’m guessing is this is where he’s been scratching. I’ve given him a full check over and noticed another much smaller patch on his tummy. I know they are prone to fungal infection/ringworm. Is this what it could be? He seems very happy in his self and is eating and drinking as normal and Popcorning all over the place! He didn’t seem to be bothered at all when I touch the area.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much

New piggy owners, Kate, Matt and Mae

Attachments

• C940AF66-9B7E-4AA3-A189-93AB07AFD549.webp
    C940AF66-9B7E-4AA3-A189-93AB07AFD549.webp
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 736DA3DB-1333-4BA8-BAD3-084BDBF87802.webp
    736DA3DB-1333-4BA8-BAD3-084BDBF87802.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 13
  • D8680CA9-1E76-4155-915B-16A3B12ECA4D.webp
    D8680CA9-1E76-4155-915B-16A3B12ECA4D.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to the forum

We are not vets so can’t diagnose anything so can only guess but going on this picture, I would suspect ringworm. There are of course other fungal infections but ringworm commonly can be a issue with new piggies.

As ringworm jumps species and will infect humans, you must make sure you exercise stringent hygiene for yourself and for the piggies, cage/environment. Ringworm spores can live in the area for up to two years so reinfection can occur.

This is our ringworm guide. It explains everything including the hygiene needed to ensure reinfection doesn’t occur. It also explains the treatment you would want to get from your vet should ringworm be diagnosed.

Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

This is really helpful, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

No problem.

Do read the guide and I would suggest you invest in some F10 which is a vet grade disinfectant (it’s useful as a deep cleaner anyway regardless of any active infection/parasite infestation) as it is the only thing which kills ringworm spores in the environment.

Get the diagnosis and if they do suspect ringworm, then throw away anything in the cage you can’t thoroughly disinfect.

As you are a new owner, I will also link in some new owner guides and particularly those regarding boars. Boars require larger enclosures as they can be more territorial etc.

New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Went to the vets today and she said it’s highly likely ringworm but can’t exclude mites. She’s ordered a treatment for the mites that we can collect tomorrow, he didn’t weight enough to have the one they had in stock. She wanted to check the treatment for ringworm and rang me this evening to say there is no licenced treatment they can give me. Been told just to be vigilant with cleaning and keep a close eye him.

Went to the vets today and she said it’s highly likely ringworm but can’t exclude mites. She’s ordered a treatment for the mites that we can collect tomorrow, he didn’t weight enough to have the one they had in stock. She wanted to check the treatment for ringworm and rang me this evening to say there is no licenced treatment they can give me. Been told just to be vigilant with cleaning and keep a close eye him.

Hmm. The treatment for ringworm is an oral medication called intrafungol.

Watching him and cleaning won’t cure it I’m afraid. It would be best for you to see another vet, ideally an exotic who can get access to the correct treatment.

His cage mate while currently perhaps not showing signs will also need to be treated within the 10-14 incubation period as otherwise he is going to get it as well.

A shampoo is the alternative if you cant get prescribed the oral systemic treatment but is harsh on their skin. Using creams is outdated and not effective as the spores are shed from a wider area on the body.

Hmm. The treatment for ringworm is an oral medication called intrafungol.

Watching him and cleaning won’t cure it I’m afraid. It would be best for you to see another vet, ideally an exotic who can get access to the correct treatment.

His cage mate while currently perhaps not showing signs will also need to be treated within the 10-14 incubation period as otherwise he is going to get it as well.

A shampoo is the alternative but is harsh on their skin. Using creams is outdated and not effective as the spores are shed from a wider area on the body.
Thank you I will ring tomorrow and if I’m still not happy shall seek a second opinion

I’ve been doing lots of reading, should they have a bath in anti-fungal shampoo too?

I’ve been doing lots of reading, should they have a bath in anti-fungal shampoo too?

Bathing is harsh on their skin but if you can’t get the best oral treatment bathing will have to be what you do - it simply can’t be left untreated.
You will also have to treat and/or bathe his cage mate as he will also be in the incubation period.
Speak to a knowledgeable vet first before doing anything like bathing though.
You can’t bathe at certain times if he is getting a mite spot on. (Equally a mite treatment won’t do anything for a fungal infection)

The ringworm guide I linked in explains it all in depth.

Bathing is harsh on their skin but if you can’t get the best oral treatment bathing will have to be what you do - it simply can’t be left untreated.
You will also have to treat and/or bathe his cage mate as he will also be in the incubation period.
Speak to a knowledgeable vet first before doing anything like bathing though.
You can’t bathe at certain times if he is getting a mite spot on. (Equally a mite treatment won’t do anything for a fungal infection)

The ringworm guide I linked in explains it all in depth.
Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated

Back