Worried my piggies are bored—do they have enough?

gayfurryclown

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi hi :)
So my two sows, Kino and Fen, are almost 4 months old. I’ve noticed that they’re very inactive most of the days and worry that they might be bored out of their minds. I know Guinea pigs are crepuscular, so maybe I’m just overthinking, but I wanted to check anyway, get an outsider’s perspective in case I’m missing something.

They have a 180 x 90 cm cage covered with soft IKEA bath rugs, and a total of 5 hides and two tunnels.
There’s a pile of hay with a cover over it which they use for toilet time, burrowing, and eating hay. I do provide them with unsoiled hay as well ofc, they can always find that in their hay bag.
I also stuff hay into toilet paper rolls for them to pull apart, and I have two (untreated) apple trees by my house, so they often have apple sticks to chew on as well. They also have three ball toys (that they have no interest in) made with all natural materials, and one ball treat dispenser (that they don’t know how to use).
I scatter-feed all their food—veggies and pellets—except treats, which is hand-fed. They get floor time for several hours every day, so they definitely have space to stretch their little legs.

I’ve tried my best to do all the necessary research, but I still can’t tell if they have too little enrichment and are bored, or if it’s normal for them to be so inactive.
Any input is appreciated! Thanks :)

It sounds like you’ve provided them with lots of enrichment and opportunity to ‘play’.
Most importantly they have each other so it is highly unlikely they are bored.

It all sounds good. My boys are very lazy and spend a lot of time sleeping too. One thing that does excite them (apart from food times) is a paper bag with some hay in that they can play in and destroy.

Back