Worried about depression!

gibby259

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, my guinea pig named checkers passed away on Wednesday and I'm devastated. Her cage mate Gibby got her chances to say goodbye as I found checkers after I got home from school. Not sure how she passed and I was completely shocked when I noticed. They were both about 5 years old and Ive had them for 3. Gibby is drinking water, eating tons of hay, and eats any fruit or veggie I give her tho i don't think she likes her pellets anymore cus she only eats the other things in her food. She comes out for floor time still and is running around as I type this. I'm not considering getting another guinea pig since she is sort of old and don't want to enter a cycle. Of course if she stopped eating and drinking I would but as of now she's ok and even when I found checkers Gibby was actively digging through the food bowl and came out for floor time when I cleaned it after finding checkers. I was wondering if she would continue to be okay or if it is a necessity that I get another one? I've been spending WAY more time with her & she's out of her cage most of the time I'm in my room. Tho she does tend to just sit still a lot and I'm not sure if this is because of her age and she needs more rest and she tended to do that even when checkers was present so I'm not sure? I'm so grateful for all feedback as I've been in kind of a panic! Ive just been worried about my gibby. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to TGPF - I’m so sorry Checkers has passed away - it sounds like she was living her best life with you and Gibby.
She must have passed peacefully in her sleep.
Take care of yourself as you get used to Checkers not being there. It’s tough
Guinea pigs do need a companion. I think Gibby maybe coping for now but she won’t long term she does need a friend
It is difficult as you enter the never ending cycle of guinea pig ownership. Some members here get a Guinea pig from a rescue with the offer that the piggy can return if your Guinea pig passes away. A rescue could help with bonding and matching a piggy for Gibby. Some members have given up their last piggy in an act of love and care for that piggy - it’s a difficult decision whatever you do.
I’m sure more experienced owners will come along and give you advice.

I’m sorry for your loss.

The guide below explains how to look after a bereaved piggy.

The issue is that they are not wired to be alone long term and no amount of human contact will be enough. At 5 years old, she could actually still have several more years ahead of her which would be too long to spend alone. Of course it is a hard decision if you wish to end the piggy cycle.

Are there any rescues near you that you may be able to foster another piggy? That way she can have the companionship she needs but you aren’t committing to piggy ownership beyond her lifespan and can return a foster piggy upon Gibby’s passing?

Take some time to think things through

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

We recommend not using food bowls and instead scattering veg and the one tablespoon of pellets per day amongst large piles of hay. This encourages plenty of foraging and provides mental stimulation.

Hello and welcome to TGPF - I’m so sorry Checkers has passed away - it sounds like she was living her best life with you and Gibby.
She must have passed peacefully in her sleep.
Take care of yourself as you get used to Checkers not being there. It’s tough
Guinea pigs do need a companion. I think Gibby maybe coping for now but she won’t long term she does need a friend
It is difficult as you enter the never ending cycle of guinea pig ownership. Some members here get a Guinea pig from a rescue with the offer that the piggy can return if your Guinea pig passes away. A rescue could help with bonding and matching a piggy for Gibby. Some members have given up their last piggy in an act of love and care for that piggy - it’s a difficult decision whatever you do.
I’m sure more experienced owners will come along and give you advice.
Thank you for answering I truly appreciate it!

I’m sorry for your loss.

The guide below explains how to look after a bereaved piggy.

The issue is that they are not wired to be alone long term and no amount of human contact will be enough. At 5 years old, she could actually still have several more years ahead of her which would be too long to spend alone. Of course it is a hard decision if you wish to end the piggy cycle.

Are there any rescues near you that you may be able to foster another piggy? That way she can have the companionship she needs but you aren’t committing to piggy ownership beyond her lifespan and can return a foster piggy upon Gibby’s passing?

Take some time to think things through

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

We recommend not using food bowls and instead scattering veg and the one tablespoon of pellets per day amongst large piles of hay. This encourages plenty of foraging and provides mental stimulation.
Thank you for answering! Unfortunately none of my shelters carry guinea pigs and I don't want o buy one from a pet store cus I've heard a lot of them are sick:( I'll be sure to try the scattering food thing tho! If I see she starts getting depressed and not eating I'll probably consider rehoming her, until she starts showing certain signs tho is it okay to keep her?

Thank you for answering! Unfortunately none of my shelters carry guinea pigs and I don't want o buy one from a pet store cus I've heard a lot of them are sick:( I'll be sure to try the scattering food thing tho! If I see she starts getting depressed and not eating I'll probably consider rehoming her, until she starts showing certain signs tho is it okay to keep her?

Of course you can keep her but do be aware that most bereaved piggies who are feeling lonely and struggling being alone will never show any signs of it so it is highly unlikely you will ever notice her loneliness.
Just as they will hide physical pain, they will also hide loneliness because they are wired to survive - so a lonely piggy will still appear ok, they will continue to eat and do normal piggy things but they will be feeling lonely without piggy companionship after a few weeks of being by themselves.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry you lost Checkers. What a shock for you. It sounds like she went peacefully over the bridge. I’m glad Gibby seems to be doing ok.

Back