• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worming piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about worming piggies pleaseeee?

Do they need to be done? How often? What should i use?

Have heard of a few people using something called Panacur before?

Any info is appreciated :)

Hi,
Ive never wormed my piggys :D You only worm them i think if you see worms in their soiled area i heard but not too sure but i know the vets can worm them and i think they use ivermectin O0

So if you treat your piggies for mites you are worming them too? ? or do you get different types of ivermectin? still confused lol sorry ;D ;D

Hi yes thats right ;D

Heres a little statement i just found from somewhere

Worms can be caused by a build up of bad bacteria in the gut, but also from flies etc.

i had been having a bad case of flies in my room and i didnt know why until i was cleaning his cage. rufus',my guinea pigs, poop had little white worms on it and i was wondering if the worms were coming from rufus, and if so how do i treat it?

The best treatment is via Ivermectin, which vets also use to treat mites. This usually is administered by 3 injections 10 days apart, so a trip to the vet will be neccesary. I have had my pigs treated with Ivermectin before, so to give you an idea, Rufus' treatment will cost in the region of $15 US per injection, or £8 UK

So do they need to be wormed even if they don't seem to have them or is that pointless?

Surely it can be done another way not just via injection? :-\

Jane,

You are right,Ivermectin is for mites.Panacur is an anthelmintic(wormer).

Some piggy people say you should give your piggies Panacur and Ivermectin alternating every 3 months. I do not agree with this,but that is my personal opinion.I think that using drugs as a preventative can actually make the parasites immune to them. I have kept piggies for a very long time,have never done routine worming ,and have never seen a pig with internal worms.My pigs live to ripe old age.

If my pigs have symptoms of mites,scratching,sc abs/sores on the back,dandruff and /or loose hair,I give them Ivermectin in the form that is put on the back of the neck and down the spine.This is repeated in 14 days.There is no need for painful injections anymore before the topical route works well.

Piggies can get internal worms,but they are rare,especially in piggies kept indoors.Pigs could get worms from eating worm eggs that have been laid in soil.,so piggies who have access to lawns /gardens are more likely to pick them up. My pigs do go out on the lawn in clement weather,and through the summer,if I had a pig with unacountable weight loss,I would try Panacur just in case.,although I have never had a pig that put weight on after Panacur.

It is up to you to decide whether to routine Panacur/Ivermectin, or whether just to use it when neccesary.

Thanks Mary :)

I don't think I will regularly worm then..I think you are right about how they can become immune to them. Thanks :D

Gps can sometimes get external parasites called mites which burrow under the skin and cause itching.The treatment for this is a drug called Ivermectin which kills the mites.The dose is repeated in 14 days to kill any mites which may have hatched from eggs.

Occasionaly gps can get internal worms and these are dealt with by an anthelmintic drug called Panacur.

You would need to consult a vet to get these drugs.

We do have a routine of Panacur/Ivermectin every 6 months - I alternate every 3 months :)

Prevention has worked really well for me so far, so thats the way we choose to go.

We have dogs, and a couple are 'working' to the extent of hunting or fishing, so get around here, there and everywhere, so I feel better if I know I have taken preventative action :)

Well I guess they are classed as working dogs - Alfie is well trained to in-route vermin, and Molly often goes out with Andy and his family to retrieve game, shes a natural apparently ::) ;D Kitty LOVES fishing, but he says she has a messy catch, but I think thats just down to her age :) She will sit for hours with total concentration on her face, bless her :smitten:

PerfectPiggies said:
Well I guess they are classed as working dogs - Alfie is well trained to in-route vermin, and Molly often goes out with Andy and his family to retrieve game, shes a natural apparently ::) ;D Kitty LOVES fishing, but he says she has a messy catch, but I think thats just down to her age :) She will sit for hours with total concentration on her face, bless her :smitten:
Awww i didnt no you had soo many dogs ;D We had working dogs 7 of them too O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back