• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worming GPs: is this something most vets will do?

• Thread starter Thread starter Morrigan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Morrigan

Hi

I've recently been offered a pair of sows by a home that is unable to care for them anymore (they have very genuine and valid reasons for rehoming). I used to have guinea pigs as a child as my mum ran a GP rescue, but pet care has changed a lot in the last ten years so I'm researching piggie care before the girls arrive! I was pointed at this forum by Kayjay :D (thanks kayjay!)

Someone has already told me that the GPs will need worming every three months. I'd like to take them to the vets for this so that they can have a general health check at the same time, but my question is, is worming GPs something that most vets will do or will I struggle to convince them it's neccessary?

Also, roughly how much will I be looking at for worming both girls? (just so I can start to plan my finances! :laugh: ) Thanks!

If you decide you want them wormed then I would join the Cambridge Cavy Trust who will do a health check and worming for an annual cost of £25.00 this includes dental work and free consultations. There are rodentologists all over the country though not all administer Ivermectin, things are closely regulated now ::)

If you can't get to a rodentologist make sure their food is thoroughly washed (of course :) ), they don't eat the grass in the run down too short (where it changes from green to white), and don't feed hay that has dirt on- its probably been cut too short.

Vets have differing opinions on this as do lots of other people :)

Gorgeous Guineas has some tips on worming your guinea. I have had 2 rescues in this year with internal worms/parasites, I only found about one when he was operated on, he was wormed and has put on weight and seems to have filled out too :)

Thanks Karen, that's really helpful :) I'll go and look up the Cavy Trust now.

I was pointed at the Gorgeous Guineas site over the weekend, I think it's great. We didn't have anything like that for the piggies when I was growing up! ;D I didn't see the setcion on worming though, so I'll go and take a peep at that now too.

:) While you're there sign up for their newsletter its full of good tips :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back