• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worming at the CCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayneG

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. Am thinking it's almost time to take my 3 boys for worming and check over at the CCT. I haven't been there before. DO I just text Vedra to ask for a weekend appointment? I've heard that's it's free but I can donate right? Wouldn't feel right not paying something!

I believe you have to pay a membership fee of £20. From then on there is no consultancy fee and dental work, nail clipping and general health checks are free of charge. But they are a rescue and rely heavily on donations and volunteers. I think that is right but not a hundred percent sure. :)

Yes it does, I have heard of it but sadly it is to far from me. :(

Yep, if you're a paid up member "takes a mental note to pay this years subscription" all this is free. I usually ask if she needs anything. Last time I took down about 20 rolls of white kitchen towel! It worked out about the same as paying for a consultation at my local vet for 1 pig. Petrol costs & the kitchen towel for this fab service brilliant stuff!

I wish I lived closer. I would prefer giving the cost of the operations and won't not to a rescue rather then a vet, who doesn't seem to know what they are talking about half the time. :)

I heard a story the other day about an incompetent vet....I'm not slating vets because I've just found a great Guinea Vet, but its a disturbing story all the same about ignorance in the industry.
" A person had just got their first pig & it was already pregnant (surprise surprise). The person was quite inexperienced with pigs. The sow had her litter with no problems. After a week or 2 she took the mum & babies into the vets because there was something wrong with the babies. The vet put it down to neurological probs & put all the babies to sleep. So the owner got female preggers again (must have brought a boy!) and the same thing happened, babies not right so took to vets after a couple of weeks & put the whole litter down due to neurological problems. So a 3rd pregnancy & birth & the babies same prob - but this time she took them to a rodentologist who instantly diagnosed the 'neurological problem' as POPCORNING".

I can't imagine how the owner felt & if the vet was ever told about the natural behaviour of guinea pigs. :tickedoff:

:o I can't believe she let the guinea pig get pregnant three times and that she didn't get another opinion until the third litter. I can't even put my anger, distress and upset into words. This is utter neglect on her side and utterly disgraceful, shameful and murder on the vets side. :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

JayneG said:
Hi all. Am thinking it's almost time to take my 3 boys for worming and check over at the CCT. I haven't been there before. DO I just text Vedra to ask for a weekend appointment? I've heard that's it's free but I can donate right? Wouldn't feel right not paying something!

I'm pretty sure that Vedra doesn't do weekend appointments - seem to remember asking for one and she said she didn't do them. Worth asking cos I might be wrong.

where is the cct :-\

and that story cant be true?!? :o :o :( :'(

thats so so sad!! Surely thats incompitance?

Although if that happened to me and the vet was going to put one of my animals down i would make sure i knew EVERYTHING i could know by books, the internet, places like this...and if it happened a SECOND time....its just unbelieable...i guess it shows how badly people need to do research on animals before they buy them! Poor minipigs!

This is the address:

CCT
1 Splash Lane
Wyton
Huntingdon
Cambs PE28 2AF

;)

Dead easy to get to from you smiler straight up the A1 to about jn 16 where the A1 turns into a motorway. Then its only about 10 mins from there. Well worth joining.

Margalo had her Ovarian Cysts sorted there and I wasn't charges for the procedure (although I donated) and then I had to take her for a couple of courses of hormone injections at £10 each - the price of the drug. My old vet wanted to charge me £100 for an exploritary op because he didn't know what they were ::) this was before anything was even done.

hils78 said:
I heard a story the other day about an incompetent vet....I'm not slating vets because I've just found a great Guinea Vet, but its a disturbing story all the same about ignorance in the industry.
" A person had just got their first pig & it was already pregnant (surprise surprise). The person was quite inexperienced with pigs. The sow had her litter with no problems. After a week or 2 she took the mum & babies into the vets because there was something wrong with the babies. The vet put it down to neurological probs & put all the babies to sleep. So the owner got female preggers again (must have brought a boy!) and the same thing happened, babies not right so took to vets after a couple of weeks & put the whole litter down due to neurological problems. So a 3rd pregnancy & birth & the babies same prob - but this time she took them to a rodentologist who instantly diagnosed the 'neurological problem' as POPCORNING".

I can't imagine how the owner felt & if the vet was ever told about the natural behaviour of guinea pigs. :tickedoff:

Was feedback given to the vet so it doesn't happen again? No use complaining to RCVS etc because nothing will happen, better to address the ground roots and inform the people dealing with the animals. Yes its digusting etc but best if those pigs didn't die for nothing in my opinion.

I did ask if the vet was ever told & if so what were the reprocussions of it but the person said they didn't know. I did suggest that the vet shold most certainly be told. If it was me who was the owner I would have probably been locked up by now for what would have happened to the vet. Although it does suggest that the owner hadn't read any books on guinea pigs becasue they should have been aware of this.

All in all this story shows how ignorance is mostly the biggest killer of guinea pigs - on behalf of owners & 'some' vets. Makes me sick to the stomach thinking about it.

hils78 said:
All in all this story shows how ignorance is mostly the biggest killer of guinea pigs - on behalf of owners & 'some' vets. Makes me sick to the stomach thinking about it.

:( It certainly does. I feel kind of sorry for the woman as she thought their was something wrong and did try and do what she thought was best for the baby guineas. However, on the other hand she did breed her guinea again and she didn't get a second opinion. I just hope she has learnt from her lessons. As for the vet I think I would be banned from the forum if I told you what I really think. :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Horrible story.

We joined CCT recently and took them to Vedra for a checkup- it cost £25 for the year till December. We are fortunate in being about 40 mins drive away. The appointment was on a Monday but in the school hols.

That story is so sad :(

Unfortunately though I can understand why the owner was concerned because I too thought there was something wrong with Spike when I got him and after researching I realised what it was!

I don't however condone the vets actions..... you expect to be seeing an expert and people do tend to trust them when they don't know anything else.

RIP mini piggies 0:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back