• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worm-looking thing came out of guinea pig post stone surgery?

Cryptillian

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, so I made a post a few weeks ago about my 7 year old boar who had a large bladder stone and later had a successful surgery a few weeks ago. He gained most of his weight back and seemed back to himself but we had to extend his pain meds another week because he was still in some pain. Vet said his bladder was extremely inflamed from the stone when she saw it during surgery and may need a longer course, especially because of his age, while he heals.

Wanted to say too I am syringe feeding him critical care of which he is willingly taking without me needing to guide him and he is going to the vet Monday. He is in a 30 sq ft enclosure (yes it’s very big!) on fleece and towels that is spot cleaned daily and deep cleaned weekly. His poops look good now and he is urinating but there has been a very light amount of blood since this sudden worsening of pain started.

The past few days I noticed a sudden weight drop and then Pumba became lethargic and cried a lot more. I assumed it was because we stopped the pain meds a few days prior, but now think it’s a UTI. I noticed he was getting urine all over himself and has mild scalding on his back legs, it’s not horrible because I’ve been keeping him clean, but clearly irritated. I have washed his bottom with warm water since I noticed this every time he gets soiled again and cleaned his anal sack with some Q tips. I want to mention I noticed something strange, this white stuff all over his bottom, almost looked like smegma? But I do not really notice a smell and it’s more in his anal sack, I didn’t notice any in his penis. He is not having sludge or anything either so I don’t know what it is. I only noticed all this happening starting a few days after I deep cleaned his enclosure and I used a new fleece I had already washed a few times, but now I am worried maybe it didn’t wick enough? I had tested it before using it for him and water went right through to his towels, but now I’m worried it wasn’t enough and is what caused this. I feel so guilty because I worry maybe it wasn’t ready to be used. Could that cause this a UTI in a few days? I’ve changed it over now just in case to his usual fleece so he’s in a freshly clean enclosure.

Tonight I went to clean him and this thing was coming out of him, unfortunately I freaked out and took it out gently and can’t even remember if it was in his urethra or anal sac, I just immediately wanted to get it out. I don’t know what it is, never seen anything like this before. I do not think it’s a worm I just think it looked like one and was the best way to describe it.

Since this thing came out Pumba has suddenly perked up, even wheeking for treats. He’s suddenly eating a lot more hay and making bubbly noises happily walking around. I am lost for words, I have no idea what this thing is! I’ve put it in a baggy and will bring it with me to the vet but I wanted to ask if anyone knows what this could possibly be? Image should be attached!

Attachments

• IMG_2177.webp
    IMG_2177.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 10
It could be a sperm rod. I’m pleased he seems ok now. It was probably very uncomfortable for him. Keep a close eye on him to make sure nothing else is going on.

It looks like a sperm rod as @weepweeps has said. My Rainbow Piggie Silver Fox Christian got them alot as he couldn't clean himself properly because he had arthritis in his spine and I got very adept at removing them very gently.

Hi

If it is hard, then it is likely to be a sperm rod (dried semen fluid coming that hardens in the penis sac) and that can cause quite some discomfort and even an infection in the penis bag, so please have him vet checked.
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths (includes information on sperm rods and other boar-specific problems)

If it is soft, it could actually be a worm although they are rare and usually don't happen in indoors guinea pigs.

Thank you all it definitely looks like a sperm rod after seeing pictures. It’s not completely hard but it is definitely solid and very flimsy? Kinda like a noodle. My boyfriend said it looked like some sort of solid mucus when I first took it out. I don’t think it’s a worm looking closely at it.

I will still bring him (and bring this thing) to the vet especially since I worry about him having a UTI, but he is acting so much better this morning and eating like a champ! Thank you for the resources I’ll be reading through everything and make sure there’s nothing else stuck. I will definitely be checking him more thoroughly from now on, I’d never had this happen before after 8 years and 4 other senior boars so I was so shocked! I’m so glad he’s feeling better, I think since the stone happened and because he’s old he’s not been taking as good care of himself so I’ll have to step in more.

Thank you all it definitely looks like a sperm rod after seeing pictures. It’s not completely hard but it is definitely solid and very flimsy? Kinda like a noodle. My boyfriend said it looked like some sort of solid mucus when I first took it out. I don’t think it’s a worm looking closely at it.

I will still bring him (and bring this thing) to the vet especially since I worry about him having a UTI, but he is acting so much better this morning and eating like a champ! Thank you for the resources I’ll be reading through everything and make sure there’s nothing else stuck. I will definitely be checking him more thoroughly from now on, I’d never had this happen before after 8 years and 4 other senior boars so I was so shocked! I’m so glad he’s feeling better, I think since the stone happened and because he’s old he’s not been taking as good care of himself so I’ll have to step in more.

I’ve had 10 boars in total and have never had one with a sperm rod either. Thank goodness.

Hey forgot to update here, Pumba is doing better everyday and eating more, it’s been slow progress cause he still seems uncomfortable, but he is back on pain meds for a while. Vet definitely agreed it was a sperm rod and he does not have a UTI thankfully so the blood has since cleared up when he pees just by giving it another day or two! I think he will just need another week to bounce back, he’d lost some weight after this too but he’s slowly gaining again and getting his energy back. Vet also thinks his muscles aren’t working like they used to and it’s making it harder for him to poop properly and his arthritis doesn’t help so I’ll have to keep up with his hygiene more than before. He’s getting real old so not surprising, dealt with this with my senior who passed at 8 😛

Hey forgot to update here, Pumba is doing better everyday and eating more, it’s been slow progress cause he still seems uncomfortable, but he is back on pain meds for a while. Vet definitely agreed it was a sperm rod and he does not have a UTI thankfully so the blood has since cleared up when he pees just by giving it another day or two! I think he will just need another week to bounce back, he’d lost some weight after this too but he’s slowly gaining again and getting his energy back. Vet also thinks his muscles aren’t working like they used to and it’s making it harder for him to poop properly and his arthritis doesn’t help so I’ll have to keep up with his hygiene more than before. He’s getting real old so not surprising, dealt with this with my senior who passed at 8 😛

Glad that it was a sperm rod and that Pumba is slowly recovering from his operation. At his grand old age that is never a quick process and may not happen fully in view of his other age-related issues.

You may find these two links here helpful; they contain lots of practical little tips that can make a difference in terms of comfort:
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility (the advice also applies to piggies with arthritis, a slow post-op recovery or those that are very ill and not moving around much as well as back leg paralysis)
Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection

Back