Wooden Hutches and chewing

towser

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi - I bought a hutch for my daughter's two guinea pages last week and we tried it out this weekend, two things were apparent 1) it was too small and 2) within 15 minutes they'd chewed quite a lot of the wood. So hutch number 1 is disaster.

Now having done some research, like i should have done first time around, I see that the general view is that Chartwell hutches are considered the best option. So now I'm looking at a 6ft chartwell hutch (for less that I paid for hutch 1!). My only concern is chewing - my daughter's critters would have chewed through the first hutch within a day will this be a problem with a chartwell hutch? The wood on the first hutch was ridiculously soft so I'm guessing they just liked gnawing it.....

any help or advice gratefully received.

Hello and welcome to the forum. When I first put my piggies in their wooden hutch they gnawed it a bit. Then once they knew where the hay was they started to eat that instead. Charterwell hutches are the best for size and quality. Are your piggies outside piggies?

Are they girls or boys. I have two boars called Pebble and Patrick.

We love pictures too if you’d like to share. ❤️

IMG_0608.jpg

Two boys (Bubbles - left and Walter - right), currently indoors although they get out into a run on warm dry days now.

Will go ahead with the Chartwell hutch - they look well made, but the last one did too!

Welcome to the forum, I have two boars too. Yours are very handsome and Bubbles looks like he's a cheeky chap.

Back