Wood for guinea pig cage

Penguin2809

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm thinking about giving my guinea pigs a new level in their cage just big enough to hold both of their beds. I was wondering what wood would be suitable for the shelf and the ladder? Also, obviously the shelve will be hard so I would like to give the guinea pigs someone soft to sleep. We have a old duvet made out of normal fibre and was thinking about cutting it up to make a load of mattresses basically so I can replace as and when they pee on them. Is this something I can use?

They don't appear to nibble things.

Thanks for your help

I’m not sure what wood is suitable. On the soft sleeping area, I would use fleece with puppy pads (disposable or washable) underneath. If you used just a duvet, the pee would soak into the wood and spoil it. And if their beds are up there that should be fine. You’d just need something to absorb the pee upstairs, as well as protecting the wood somehow.

What kind of cage are they in? Could you use correx/proplex instead of wood? Perhaps support it by tying a grid to the cage bars (if it has one).

My husband made one for ours from plywood. He used some sort of timber for the edges. It was lined with Lino and worked well.

I’m not sure what wood is suitable. On the soft sleeping area, I would use fleece with puppy pads (disposable or washable) underneath. If you used just a duvet, the pee would soak into the wood and spoil it. And if their beds are up there that should be fine. You’d just need something to absorb the pee upstairs, as well as protecting the wood somehow.

What kind of cage are they in? Could you use correx/proplex instead of wood? Perhaps support it by tying a grid to the cage bars (if it has one).
Yeah I'll be using lino on the wood to protect it from pee and I thought a duvet would give them more comfort. Again I was planning on making a few seeing as it's an old King size so I can wash the ones that gets dirty and have clean ones to use. Might as well make enough so I'll have a machine full. Saves in electric and washing powder if I do one load.

My husband made one for ours from plywood. He used some sort of timber for the edges. It was lined with Lino and worked well.
Did you find your guinea pigs to nibble at the wood? I was thinking ply myself too and using lino to protect it

Back