• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wobbly tooth splintered - advice needed

Melxava

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My boar Kevin is 5.5. He was at the vet last week due to having a “fat tooth”. The vets advice was to just leave it alone as it wasn’t causing issues with eating, molars were looking great and no sign of sore gums or abscess. I was given Metacam for pain - as guinea pigs will often hide their discomfort due to being prey animals.

Fast forward 7 days. The fat tooth seems to have split. It has splintered into 2 sections with one half of the tooth being very wobbly. The fat tooth was yellow when I took Kev to the vet last week, it is continuing to darken.

He is continuing to eat, drink and poop normally but I’ve had to cut his veggies up really small so he can pic them up ok.

I will obviously be calling the vet back tomorrow morning. But wondering if anyone has had experience of a loose splintered incisor. Is this likely to fall out on its own?

Sorry couldn’t get a close picture of the tooth, but here is my boy snuggling up this evening x

Attachments

• IMG_6515.webp
    IMG_6515.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 4
My boar Kevin is 5.5. He was at the vet last week due to having a “fat tooth”. The vets advice was to just leave it alone as it wasn’t causing issues with eating, molars were looking great and no sign of sore gums or abscess. I was given Metacam for pain - as guinea pigs will often hide their discomfort due to being prey animals.

Fast forward 7 days. The fat tooth seems to have split. It has splintered into 2 sections with one half of the tooth being very wobbly. The fat tooth was yellow when I took Kev to the vet last week, it is continuing to darken.

He is continuing to eat, drink and poop normally but I’ve had to cut his veggies up really small so he can pic them up ok.

I will obviously be calling the vet back tomorrow morning. But wondering if anyone has had experience of a loose splintered incisor. Is this likely to fall out on its own?

Sorry couldn’t get a close picture of the tooth, but here is my boy snuggling up this evening x

Hi

I am so very sorry. It could be a problem with the root due to the extra pressure on the thickened tooth?

All the best for tomorrow.

My late Nicky suffered from a thickened tooth that was split in two halfs. The vet removed the loose fragment but unfortunately he still wasn't able to eat all be himself most of the time. He was on Metacam and Baytril. The antibiotics were given because my vet was worried that the split tooth could lead to an abcess.

Update - Kevin is going for a pre-op this evening. They feel he needs to be sedated for the tooth procedure. Wish him luck please x

Attachments

• IMG_6688.webp
    IMG_6688.webp
    22.4 KB · Views: 1
Good luck wee man ❤️ and please, try to go easy on yourself too, it'll be as stressful for you as for him.

Good luck to Kevin, lots of healing vibes 💓

Looking at the photo, I think they are right about the sedation. It looks like the lower (fat) tooth has made the upper incisors grow loger and at an angle, both sets probably need attention and I seem to recall being told by Kim Maddock that one set of incisors (can't remember which) were harder to deal with, without some sedation, for anything more than a simple filing-down.

Back