• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wish Digby luck hes off to the vets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
well you may remember a while ago I wrote about Digby not being right well he picked up and was fine but over the weekend he hasnt been right with his eating, he can eat small chopped up food and seems to be eating toward the back of his mouth fine its the actual nibbling he cant seem to do his insciors do seem long at the mo and one has broken a little, they have never grown in the correct way :(so I am hoping he will be ok as he HATES the vets with a passion. He hasnt lost weight and is drinking fine and was popcorning away last night and he hasnt seperated himself from the ladies so I am really not sure whats wrong. The only problem I have is that the vet I wanted to see isnt in until sat and I dont think it is fair for him to wait that long I just hope I dont get the young vet who was just useless with Tilly I have specifically asked for some one good with piggies (the receptionist got funny with me about that too) so off we go will report back shortly!

Good luck Digby! Sending pig piggy hugs and kisses to you! :-* :smitten:

Good luck Digby :smitten: :smitten:

back thanks guys it was good to know you were thinking of us.

We had the locom vet he was older than the last so I assume more experience, he looked at diggers teeth (not with the correct instrument ::)) he said Digbys back teeth are not over grown just a little higgledy piggledy ? his inscisors were waaayyy to big so he said it was best to trim them so he used a Burr to do that as he felt clipping would split the tooth, he has taken top and bottom right down and given him a anti inflamatory and antibiotic jab I think, and said to return if he doesnt pick up although he is eating and drinking and has lost no weight. He also confirmed that he is older than 2 possibly closer to 4.

The best bit that made me feel all intelligent was when he said ooooo he has a rather swollen eye and I said no thats fatty eye ;)

so that all came to 32 quid and he is ok at the mo poor love was shaking so much I could feel the carrier moving lol

Re: Wish Digby luck hes off to the vets Were Back!

opps double posted :D

Aww bless him, glad he is all sorted now! Hope he starts to eat for you!

x

Why did the vet give an antibiotic and antiinflammatory injection,except to make more mone!.Neither of these drugs will sort out a dental problem .

Cut the food into slithers which will make it easier for him to pick up until the inscissors grow back.

I have no idea really I did think to myself once he said it why did he do that, I was hoping he would just sort the teeth out for all I know he didnt even do that as he took him to another room to do it all.

One thing I was going to ask was he said bring him back in a couple of days (thursday) so we can see how he is eating do you think this is long enough? And if he really doesn't have a problem with his teeth what could be making him eat this way?

Only just caught up on this post,
How is he today Dazie?

As for a follow up appointment we quite often do one if it's been a tricky problem... but i only get charged accordingly O0

erm i'd still be querying the fact that the incisors have been trimmed not the molars, this is just from my experience with Duke :-\ :-\
You yourself know just what Digby is like normally give him no more than 24 hours and if no improvement i'd be on the doorstep asking questions and wanting something more done to his toofies.

Best of luck love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: we'll have our paws crossed that it was just a minor trim of toofies that was needed :) :) :)

I would have waited 3 or 4 days.

It is possible that there is a spur on the molars which is digging into the soft flesh.Does he seem to be favouring one side when he eats?.

Another possibility is a mouth ulcer or even an infection in the throat.

The vet should have told you what the injcts. were for,after all you are paying for them!.

If you suspect a mouth ulcer or infection in the mouth/throat get a tube of Neem toothpaste from GG.I used this on a sow with an ulcer on her cheek,and it cleared up in a few days.

He seems fine he was actually drinking infront of me tonight so he is more confident about things now he hasnt had ago at the hay yet but thats probably because his front teeth are too short?

I remember why he had anti inflamatory and antibiotic, the vet said he caught his tongue with the bur and it bled a little so he gave him that to help ::) ::)

Mary he doesnt seem to favour a side at all to me it really seemed like he couldnt get the food in his mouth once it was in he was fine so I was chopping up his veggies small and hand feeding him over the weekend and once the food was in he was muching away and he could get hay in himself and would munch happily on that. He did have bad breath at the vets I caught a good wiff of it when I was there so maybe some neem toothpaste may be a good idea?

Certainly worth a try,it is not expensive and will keep well.I put a blob approx. the size of a small pea on a cotton bud and rubbed round the area of the ulcer,did this 2 - 3 times a day.

Neem does have a slight natural antibiotic action.,it worked well on Poppy anyway.Her ulcer had been caused by a spur,but was difficult to heal.I tried several other products,Daktarin gel being one of them,but they did not help.

Thank you Mary I wish my vet was like you I may have come away with more money in my pocket and a happier piggy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back