Winter suggestions to keep my boys warm

Rivervixen

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hiya, not sure how to word this but I’m wondering if anyone has any extra suggestions for keeping my piggies warm. With energy prices being through the roof I’ve been worrying a lot about how I’m going to keep them comfortable, my room is the coldest in the house by far which doesn’t help. On top of fleecy items and snugglesafes, is there more I can do without spending too much? I’ll have the heating on for them but I don’t think it can be as high as previous years :(

Stuff cardboard boxes or hidea with hay - they are fun for them but hay is also a great insulator.
Cover part of the cage with blankets to provide warmer/draught free areas

I’ve pegged old towels round the cage and increased the amount of hay I give them.
We keep the heating on at 17degrees during the day and 16 at night to try and keep the house warm enough for them.
How this will work out as the temperature drops and the bills go up I will wait and see.

We have fleece pegged around 2 sides of our boys C&C home during the day & around all 4 sides at night with a blanket over the top too. I stuff the wooden houses with hay. We don’t keep a particularly warm house, like Merab’s slave our heating is set around 16c. The movable thermostat is by the piggies downstairs.
If I have a play area set up I put foam(children’s play) floor tiles, blankets & newspaper on the floor underneath the boys fleece pads to provide extra insulation. In fact now I think about it, we have a few foam tiles under the boys permanent home too.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

The fleece pegged around or over the cage is a great way of keeping out the cold. I also keep the curtains pulled from mid afternoon onwards as the light fades, as the curtains are thermal ones and also help keep out the cold.

Back