winter is coming.

superka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
just thought i'd remind all owners. if your piggies are on the floor. put some live catch traps out around them. same goes for their food. winter is when all the mice wanna come in side. aside from eating their food, they might also have ticks and fleas on them.

Ooh @superka now I'm imagining you live in a log cabin out in the wild somewhere! It's probably very different from my little terraced house. My Aussie uncle yearns to visit the UK but after a few days he always says the same thing. Your houses, your streets, your roads - it's so poky!
I misunderstood your post at first and thought you had to 'live catch' your piggies in order to bring them inside 😅 My mistake!

Hi @Harrison1290 It's nice to meet you and I hope you enjoy the forum 😊
The first thing to say is that most piggies prefer to live with a piggy friend so if you got your little guy/lady from a shop recently they might still have other piggies from the same batch still available? If you've taken on a lone or leftover pig from a rescue or a friend there will be lots of advice on here about how to pair them up with somepiggy who's compatible. Don't be fooled if you see the term 'dating' used for finding a companion. Because we are a non-breeding forum this term is used in a non-romantic way just for finding a piggy friend 😅 So I've had pairs who are boar/boar or sow/sow or neutered boar/sow, if you see what I mean!
Welcome again!

Ooh @superka now I'm imagining you live in a log cabin out in the wild somewhere! It's probably very different from my little terraced house. My Aussie uncle yearns to visit the UK but after a few days he always says the same thing. Your houses, your streets, your roads - it's so poky!
I misunderstood your post at first and thought you had to 'live catch' your piggies in order to bring them inside 😅 My mistake!

The first thing to say is that most piggies prefer to live with a piggy friend so if you got your little guy/lady from a shop recently they might still have other piggies from the same batch still available? If you've taken on a lone or leftover pig from a rescue or a friend there will be lots of advice on here about how to pair them up with somepiggy who's compatible. Don't be fooled if you see the term 'dating' used for finding a companion. Because we are a non-breeding forum this term is used in a non-romantic way just for finding a piggy friend 😅 So I've had pairs who are boar/boar or sow/sow or neutered boar/sow, if you see what I mean!
Welcome again!
Lol, I don't quite live out in the wilds (though we are just in a rural area) but we have mice in the house since about a year ago. I've even seen them :eek:

Welcome again!
lol no life catch mice trying to get at your guinea pigs food. also you'll want live trap not out of humanity but because the second they die all the flea's and ticks jump off them and what the closest rodent to them is. your guinea pigs... Also I'm in canada near the capital. if it has people living there theirs mice and rats living there. they live off garbage and seeds but once it starts to get cold they look for somewhere warm to live. they'll get into your house one way or another. personally i got two cats but even then i put live catch traps near their hay. (you never know if one smuggled them self inside in a bundle of hay from a farm)

Thank you very much, I just bought myself a guinea pig and I take into account any advice
Welcome! this forum is a great resource for all things guinea pig knowledge. keep this page bookmarked for any future worries or health problems to look up. they always say to take it to the vet which is solid advice but if you're new to owning guinea pigs some thing can be worrying but in reality are totally normal guinea pig behavior...

lol no life catch mice trying to get at your guinea pigs food. also you'll want live trap not out of humanity but because the second they die all the flea's and ticks jump off them and what the closest rodent to them is. your guinea pigs... Also I'm in canada near the capital. if it has people living there theirs mice and rats living there. they live off garbage and seeds but once it starts to get cold they look for somewhere warm to live. they'll get into your house one way or another. personally i got two cats but even then i put live catch traps near their hay. (you never know if one smuggled them self inside in a bundle of hay from a farm)
Just to be clear - fleas and ticks from mice and rats can not live on your guinea pigs.
They are species specific and guinea pigs do not get fleas or ticks.

Just to be clear - fleas and ticks from mice and rats can not live on your guinea pigs.
They are species specific and guinea pigs do not get fleas or ticks.
as far as i know fleas and ticks will still bite but they wont infest. their bite first as questions later. i've gotten bites from flee bag cats i owned back in the day. i've read guinea pig fur is thick to help prevent bites but doesn't make them immune. also skinny piggies have 0 prevention. mice can also carry illnesses and other parasites. I'm sure their fecal matter would be very harmful to your guinea pigs.

I wouldn't like mice near my pigs whatever! It was bad enough looking after my friend's hamster when I put the cage near the piggie cages while I decided where to put her. That Hammie was staring out the big pigs and all of them were staring back but I got the real sense that if it came down to it Hammie would take them all on!

Back