Windows open or closed?

Lorcan

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
As title.

It's far too warm to bring the goblins back upstairs. I've just moved the room thermometer to the top of the stairs about 2 minutes ago, and it's already climbed nearly 2°. Humidity's showing a slight drop - from 83% to 82%. Not a chance are they coming back upstairs.

But this leaves me with a bit of a problem. The house is always a few degrees colder downstairs and if I leave the windows open, it'll drop cooler again. Should I be worrying about it dropping possibly below 20° while I'm asleep? Normally I wouldn't question it but with the way the weather's been I don't want to be exposing them to extreme temp fluxes if I can help it. But I could also really use the air movement in the house.

Also in the time it's taken me to type the above I've gone from 21.9° (downstairs) to 24.4° at the top of the stairs. Madness.

Mmmm that’s a toughie - you mean leave the upstairs windows open ?
They have their hides and piles of hay so hopefully they’d cope if the temp changed to below 20C
Obviously I’ve not got skinny pigs so it’s just a thought

Yeah. The kitchen window doesn't open and I'm sleeping on the sofa atm, right underneath the living room window, so I'm not happy having that open for the time being. Just the two upstairs windows. I'm thinking they'd be fine (we're up to 25.5° upstairs at the moment) but I'm also slightly paranoid because well, skinnies. I thought I'd be having to break out the Snugglesafes for the winter, lol, not whatever this mad weather is.

I would guess that leaving windows open upstairs would be ok? Give the heat chance to escape?
Not the same but we've been leaving the shed door and window open over night to keep a balance of temperature and it seems to have worked, or at least we're starting with a lower temp in the morning. They seem to be coping.

They're downstairs at the moment, so the heat would escape upstairs, but also escape downstairs since heat rises. And while upstairs needs it, downstairs really doesn't (although it'd be nice to be able to sleep with even a really light quilt over me instead of nothing, lol), and while if I'm cold I can do something about it, the goblins are a different matter.

Mind you Cam would also probably scream at me if he got too cold. I'll just have to see how it goes, I guess. And take that thermometer back downstairs before the rising numbers give me a heart attack.

Good luck, we currently have upstairs windows open, downstairs shut.
Was boarder line decision earlier.
No thunderstorms here, but the bit of rain helped cool. Humidity is still high though. Looking forward to the cooler weather.

Yeah, the heat's bad, but the humidity's the worst. I want to have a shower because of the humidity, but a) good grief no not hot water and b)...it's too humid. Plus the water pressure was off earlier when I was running some cold water into the tub. The water still ran but I did debate reporting it til it apparently fixed itself.

The ground's wet outside so it must have rained but no storms. Cloud cover's not going to help the humidity either.

I agree that opening windows should be ok, it doesn't seem likely to get that cold while the weather is so hot and humid.

This house is just old, no insulation or anything, and prone to feeling damp. The weather's calmed down and back to its normal damp grey self, but the goblins are still downstairs because I really haven't been feeling well so I've had the heating on instead. I'm too warm up here but they're at least warm enough downstairs lol.

Sorry you’re not feeling well …..just take it easy and get better ….the goblins are fine 🥰

It's not warm here now, but it's also distinctly not cold. They're still downstairs, I fell over in the cage walking through it to check something on the ceiling, so I'm guessing vertigo. And if I've got vertigo they're safer in the tent for now, it's not ideal but not a risk I'd want to take, right? My heating comes on for just over an hour, that's the shortest time I can do it for auto-switching itself off. I had that twice overnight, which seems to have done the trick.

Back