• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wilson will be getting neutered...

• Thread starter Thread starter baby-wilson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baby-wilson

... in the next month or two!
I'm so excited for him! 5-6 weeks after he is neutered he Will get to be with Cindy and Patchouli... which will be GREAT for space and everything :)
I will be leaving it a few weeks after he is healed to put him with the girls.... as I definatley want to make sure he is sterile....
I have $40 so far... with a bit more on the way (I think)... so I have $80 to go, which shouldnt take too long.... at the very most it will take 8 weeks :)

YAY! I'm so excited!

so... can anyone give me a few tips on after-care... I want to make him as comfortable as POSSIBLE! :)

Good luck with Wilson BW, I'm sure he will be fine.

I don't have any experience of neutering, however, I have had several piggies go through surgery recently :'( . I always keep the piggies on clean towels post op, a) more comfortable on any wounds and b) you can keep a check more easily that they are going to the loo ok. I have recently discovered vetbed and have found it to be very good for post op piggies, just make sure you line the cage under the vetbed with newspaper or towels (these soak up the urine!).

I found that one of my sows took a while to recover from the anaesthetic and wasn't showing any interest in food so I now always make sure I have favourite treats to hand to tempt them to eat and get the gut going again.

I'm sure you'll receive lots of advice from other members who have had piggies neutered. Wilson is going to be a very happy piggy once he has recovered. O0

Make sure he's eating soon after the op, if he doesn't then syringe feed him. Be prepared and have his fave foods in to tempt him to eat. Take a bag to the vets labelled 'Post Op Food' and ask them to give it to hiom Post Op :)

Look out for post castrate abscesses, you can feel them coming they are hard lumps in the area where he had the op. No need for anaesthetic, these can be lanced and flushed while he's conscious.

I would say get him some VetBed in and give him that but mine never use it, they prefer to sit on Medibed and munch hay ::)

I leave 2 wheeks after the op before putting in with a sow and have never had any problems.

Great news! I now have $120 so I am going to ring the vets tomorow and see if they can book him for this Saturday or the next...
Ive just sat down with Wilson and talked to him like a crazy lady... telling him its going to be okay etc ::)

I'm getting scared now... but I know its for the best!

Thanks for the advice all! Ill have to get mum to let me keep him near me... so I can check on him and stuff....

I had Basil done so he coudl live with the sows. He was taken in in the morning and home at 11.30! He was absolutely fine, climbing up the bars of the cage (which made my eyes water but not his!). We kept him on towels, changed twice a day. He had a piece of vetbed to sleep on (which he used) which was also changed twice a day. We kept him on towels for about 6 weeks in all, I think.

He was on Baytril afterwards, quite a high dose. We fed him Avipro (a probiotic) to ensure his gut flora were maintained. He took it all without a wimper - he was absolutely brill!

However, in spite of being so great post-op, he developed a nasty abscess about three weeks afterwards. More Baytril and lots of washing, but the vet didn't lance it. It cleared up ok, but took a while. And now, he's being bossed around by seven sows and absolutely lovin it.

I hope Wilson goes on ok. Keep us posted!

Re: Wilson will be getting neutered... TOMOROW 1.30!

Tomorow 1.30 Wilson is going to get neutered!
The vet said it would take 30 mins... so we are going to wait with him and take his fave foods!

He gets to stay inside with me for 6 weeks! I am so happy... were preparing his towels and everything now

Should I starve him for the op? they didnt say to but what do you think?

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited! :D :D :D

Hope Wilsons Opp goes well
I wont have any opps on a weekend i always book them in for the begining of the week so that if there is any problems i have the whole week before the vet is closed for the weekend

Good Luck!

You don't need to starve him because piggies can't be sick! let him eat what he wants!

O0Good luck with the op! Just remember NO hay in the cage as it gets tangled about the wound also clean up any left over food etc. I would also say using white or very light coloured towels helps as you can see weather they have weed and what colour it is also for puss etc (sorry too much info). Lots of cuddles and treats will help his recovery and it will be worth it keep telling him that as he will just love his ladies :smitten:

They must have hay,it is an essential part of the diet,but do not use it as bedding post op. If you are using a cage,push some hay through the wire so that it is not on the floor.My piggies have hay in racks because they are in pens,but they do pull it over the floor.I nurse my post ops on vetbed and remove any hay that they have pulled onto it.I have never had any wounds infected by hay.

When Rimmer was neutered I put his hay in a hay rack ;) I used towels changed twice a day for two weeks. He was groggy afterwards and his poo was a strange shape for a day. He was not eating quite as much as normal and did lose a little bit of weight. But he soon put it back on and now lives happily with two sows.

He is done and home... LOVES his medication! Its a vitamin C powder or somthing... I have to mix it wwith water and give it orally :)

His bits are pink LMAO

I took him in and she put him in a small container with gas in it and I bawled :( poor Wilson... but I eventually went back i the room and watched him on the table (from the other side of the room) he looked dead and he was so limp when they gave him to me...

They used glue on him and said in 4 weeks he can go with the girls... but I will leave it a few more to make sure :)

The girls escaped and so did Angus while I was out with Wilson today... Cindy was under my bed and mum couldnt get her till I got home! She really wants her man hey?! LMAO

Thank everyone! :)

Only a few weeks now till Angus gets done... possibly when WIlson goes with the girls :)
And Poppy will get done at christmas time :)

Oh... Angus didnt actually get to the girls by the way :) he did attempt to... luckily I have the girls and boys cage seperate :P

O0 Glad to hear the op went well, bless I remember Digby after his op he was really soppy and wanted lots of cuddles, now he is back to full health and chasing the girls around but he forgets what to do once he is in position lol ;D ;D

good to hear that the op was ok hope he is fully recovered soon! :smitten:

Hehe yer... when I get Wilson out to do his medication he tries to jump up for a cuddle :) so he gets to sit with me for a bit :)

Thanks guys!

Yes we were allowed in the room... it was actually done in a mobile van... so we watched from the other side of the room, but if we wanted to we could go closer... I saw somthing when she was doing it... and quickly turned away LMAO

Going back next week with Angus... for mite treatment... then back again in a few weeks for his neutering lol

He is healing nicley... so bleeding, swelling or anything like that and he is back to his normal happy self :)

Y'know I said that Basil had a post op infection which healed? Well, it's back! Just been to the vet and have some Dermisol to wash it out with. Poor guy! He was sooo good with the vet, though.

So, I s'pose the moral of this tale is - keep an eye on Wilson! It sounds like he's just fine so far, though. Glad to hear it went well and I hope he continues to heal quickly. Hugs to Wilson!

Aww get well soon Basil :(

Thanks... I'm def going to keep a close eye on him... what sort of symptoms do I look for with infections etc... colours... goo? LMAO

I think it unlikely that Wilson will get an infection now.The symptoms are redness,swelling and of course pus or a smell from the wound.

baby-wilson said:
Aww get well soon Basil :(

Thanks from Basil for the good wishes. He's being a really good piggie with having the hole washed out.

The smell alerted me to Basil's original infection before there were any visible signs. Unfortunately the wound was quite well healed at the time. But as MaryH says, infection is unlikely now for Wilson.

Yay :)

cant remember when... yesterday I think... Wilson got a litle bit of muck on my shirt but I think it was normal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back