Will they eventually eat it? I’m desperate 😞

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I’m not sure whether Elizabeth but mainly Esme is eating the current hay I am feeding. I’m worried about their teeth over growing on top of everything else 😞 I wouldn’t mind but I have another 3 bags of the stuff and can’t afford to just throw it away. Will they eventually eat it if they’re hungry or will they just point blank refuse? They’ve never been this fussy before 😞

When my boys have hay they don't like I mix it with one they do, the do eventually eat it.
Piggies are funny little things, they know when something is different. My boys (except Bertie the dustbin have refused their pellets this afternoon) they seem to have changed the recipe. If I was feeding new ones I would normally mix them with the old but I thought I was feeding the same!

Their teeth would over grow eventually if they weren't eating hay but if they have the old stuff and they are eating that then I wouldn't worry. They won't starve themselves and will probably eat the new stuff as well soon. They are just being fussy because it's different, guinea pigs are like that! In a few days it could possibly be their favourite! If they absolutely refuse to eat it and you are running out of the old stuff then I would buy some more of what they like. I'm sure they just like to make sure we know they've noticed something is different.

Back