will these cages be big enough?

• Thread starter Thread starter jigsaw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jigsaw

I have just bought a new cage to start keeping guinea pigs again after a 10yr break. I am a bit worried it may be too small though. We bought the best of what they had. It is very well made and has a slide out bottom for easy cleaning. It is for 36 x 20 inches (78 x 45cm). It is raised off the floor by just shy of a meter. This one is only for during the warmer months when they will out in a pen most of the time. I have also bought an brand new indoor cage from ebay for winter which is 47 x 22 inches. This was excellent value. These should be ok for a pair of guins shouldn't they?

The first hutch is not really big enough, however, if like you have said they are going to be in a pen during the day it should be fine, if you can get a bigger hutch it would be better. The second is fine. Just to make sure I am talking about if you plan to have two guineas. O0

yes going to have the 2 guinea pigs. The other larger cages weren't nearly so well made and they had quite a few to chose from. This wooden one really is just for sleeping in during the summer months or if we are away for the weekend. My husband is building a run this week and it will be a good size with a dedicated area for shade and shelter. I bought a bigger indoor hutch because obviously they won't be able to run about so much. I am just hoping the rescue centre approves :-\
One of the books I read today (guinea piglopedia), which is mean to be one of the best books around, actually suggested a smaller hutch for 2 GPs saying too big will cause them anxiety - I was stunned. I am of the opinion that bigger is better, but in this case it was quality that was the over-riding factor, and that fact that they will have a big run.

Ideally you want 2ft by 1ft per guinea (so 4ft by 2ft hutch for two guineas), however, bigger is better. As for it causing the guineas anxiety you should always provide hideouts/ tunnels for them. You would have more problems putting guineas in confined spaces. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back