• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why would a guinea-pig retch?

• Thread starter Thread starter 31M4
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

31M4

Hi,

A relative said I should keep an eye on my piggy because it looked like she was trying to vomit.

I don't think guinea-pigs can vomit (can anyone confirm?).

I haven't seen her try to retch or anything.

I looked online and saw somewhere that sometimes they can get bile released into their mouth or through their nose and it has something to do with mites but I don't think she has those. Her fur and skin are clean. She doesn't chew or scratch herself. Has no fur missing. She gets bathed regularly with shampoo that is supposed to repel/ prevent infestations. And she is happy and healthy.

Hi,

No guinea pigs can't vomit but they can get like hiccups when food goes down the wrong way. You know your pig best, if she is eating and her weight is fine then perhaps your relative has it wrong?

Hope your pig is ok.

Louise
:)

Heaving hiccups do sometimes sound like retching. It had me worried sick the first time I heard it.

How old is your piggy - young or old ? could it be pregnant if its a sow ? :-\

Hope had Heaving Hiccups tonight, the first time since Molly died that I've heard them ::) No bile though so maybe its something completely different?

I think they sometimes do this when they have tried to stuff the food down too quickly.

Hi, i hope your piggie is ok O0 :smitten:
I've noticed as Mary said, that when our boy stuffs his mouth with a large piece of food he can look like he's going to vomit, but they can't physically do so.
Just keep an eye on her and if in any doubt take her to your vets for a quick check up love :)
It does sound like you've got a very happy piggie :smitten:

Hope was definitely stuffing her face tonight and Molly was always having HH because she eat fast ::)

My Murphy has had Heaving Hiccups twice now its awful when it happens we think it could be when he has eaten kale. His tummy pumps in and out and he looks just like he is trying to be sick if he has just eaten awful gunge comes from his mouth.

No more kale from now on.

Scared me awful first time as i know they cannot be sick.

First time he was five days before he started eating again so i had to syringe feed him. Second time he was back eating a few hours after the hiccups stopped.

Hope your piggie if ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back