Why is she biting/nibbling?

• Thread starter Thread starter mamapie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mamapie

We've had the guineas for 4 weeks now. In the past week one of them has started nibbling at us. She ONLY does it when we pick her up or put her down, when she's having lap time she squeaks and nestles into us. She doesn't bite hard enough to leave a mark, just nibbling. I'm assuming it's because she's scared when we carry her but just wanted to ask for some opinions in case I'm reading it wrong. And is a good sign that she nibbles rather then actually bites us?

It's most probably a mixture of a few things why they nibble. Nerves, frustration as if to say "Oi, you've disturbed me!" and picking her up a little uncomfortably. My little boy sometimes does it if I pick him up awkwardly. Do you lift her by her bottom with one hand and over her chest with the other?

Yes that's how we lift her, but she does it when we're walking with her in ours arms, cradled like a baby, too... Do guinea pigs get motion sickness? She seems to only do when we're walking and holding her!

I know what you mean......whenever I carry my guineas, they nibble at my collar, which means I've got tons of little marks all over my collarbone. I know I hold them correctly, cause the vet showed me how to when I got them. Maybe its their way of being friendly, like bunnies nibble at you to show they love you?

Mine do this too, they lick my fingers if i've been handling cucumber or something lol then nibble a bit but not hard, they also like to sort of bite my nail like they bite wooden chew toys, there's probably a number of things which could be possibilities, i dont think you need to worry though :) x

my guinea pig use to be a bit on the nippy side - maybe its like a puppy thing ?

some sites say it might be them trying to groom - ive seen my guinea pigs teeth when he yawns and I'm just glad its a nip and not a bite ! :o ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back