Why Is My Guinea Pig . . . . . Please Help! Important!

Status
Not open for further replies.

myminimonsters

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, today when i got my piggies out my younger one ( lexi ) was trying to jump on the back of my older pig ( sparkle ), also lexi bit sparkles bum a few times!

They never fight, also they both put there bum to the floor and walked a few steps and a few times sparkle would go up to lexis face and raise her head as high as she could then lexi would try get her head higher?

So what are my guinea pigs doing?

It sounds to me like they are trying to sort out their pecking order. There is an excellent guide to dominance and sow behaviour in the resources section :)

It sounds like they are displaying dominance behaviours. Have a look at the sticky on dominance.

It sounds to me like they are trying to sort out their pecking order. There is an excellent guide to dominance and sow behaviour in the resources section :)
ha ha. We were writing nearly the same reply at the same time. Lol.

Yes I agree with two previous posters (snap) - the mounting, bum dragging, chasing etc are all part of dominance displays - I am the boss.
Good that you are watching their behaviour but all that sounds normal stuff. I am sure you do, but when you handle them, check them for any bites or scratches if they are going through a tricky patch.

PS I think your thread title is not that helpful - no clues to the topic

Yes I agree with two previous posters (snap) - the mounting, bum dragging, chasing etc are all part of dominance displays - I am the boss.
Good that you are watching their behaviour but all that sounds normal stuff. I am sure you do, but when you handle them, check them for any bites or scratches if they are going through a tricky patch.

PS I think your thread title is not that helpful - no clues to the topic

I will next time but i didn't know if they were fighting or playing or whatever!

Dominance issues can be sparked in a firmly established relationship either when one of the sows has got an exceptionally strong season or has hormonal aggression problems, usually from a growing small ovarian cyst (large ovarian cyst. If problems persist past one or two days, I would have your problem girl checked by a vet. These days, there are hormonal treatments available as an alternative to a spaying operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back