Why Guinea Pigs are so accepting

EmmieMMM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Guinea pigs are accepting of other guinea pigs joining their herd. They don't care if the piggy has long hair, short hair, or crazy hair. Guinea pigs can accept humans into their herd as well.
I wondered why guinea pigs didn't have the prejudice other animals--like humans--seem to have. But I think I have an answer. Guinea pigs don't recognize themselves in a mirror. In fact, if you bring them close to a mirror they are unhappy and seem very confused by the new guinea pig they've never seen before.

Guinea pigs are accepting of other guinea pigs joining their herd. They don't care if the piggy has long hair, short hair, or crazy hair. Guinea pigs can accept humans into their herd as well.
I wondered why guinea pigs didn't have the prejudice other animals--like humans--seem to have. But I think I have an answer. Guinea pigs don't recognize themselves in a mirror. In fact, if you bring them close to a mirror they are unhappy and seem very confused by the new guinea pig they've never seen before.
It's an interesting concept, but in reality guinea pigs often reject other guinea pigs and humans.
It all comes down to personality though, so you are right that they don't care about the breed, etc.

But they can be quite picky about who they will and won't live with, despite definitely needing companionship

Hi

Sight is a guinea pig's weakest sense; they identify much more by scent and hearing. But sight is the strongest human sense, so for a long time we have instinctively used self-recognition in a mirror as a touchstone of intelligence and self-recognition.
A change in view of other animals having very much a sense of self but with other more significant identifiers is currently making scientific research rethink their tenets.

Guinea pigs are group animals; they identify first and foremost by their group - even if it is a group of one. They have evolved in contact with other groups living relatively nearby and feeding together peacefully as a herd twice a day. A group is however territorial in their denning area. Territorial behaviours between cage neighbours or fallen out piggies are however often misinterpreted because most piggy owners are not aware of that aspect.

Other piggies are either part of 'us, the group' or not part of 'us'. Bonding works from 'maybe part of us' to either becoming part of 'us' or not becoming part of 'us', or 'we don't want you here' right from the word go (acceptance not happening). Bonding success is never a given and always comes down to personal dynamics and aspirations. You can never just stick two piggies together and expect them to get on.
The longer and the more I know my piggies after half a century and around 80 of them passing through my life in all kinds of formations the more complex their personalities and their social interactions become because of me picking up on the finer nuances. Guinea pigs are for me right up there with human people, just with a very different social structure and their own differing priorities.

The looks issue is a bit more complex. Guinea pigs have a good idea of how they look from grooming themselves but of course they cannot see their own faces.

A mirror is not just puzzling because it is showing a 'strange' piggy that in parts looks very familiar. Much more crucially for cavies, the strange piggy doesn't come with an identifying scent. In my own experience with mirrors and guinea pigs, the lack of scent and touch and the lack of appropriate interactive responses is what throws it for them much more than seeing another guinea pig where they don't expect one.
How a piggy reacts to seeing a new piggy in the mirror at first also depends on how much they are used to interaction with a different range of guinea pigs or not. A single piggy will be much more wary than one that is used to neighbours and new arrivals in the room and to interacting with them not just in their own group but through the bars as well. Piggies that have daily interaction with a larger range of piggies behave much more welcoming. My Ceri for instance went straight up and greeted herself with a nose bump and a lick of the mirror.

Guinea pigs are actually often initially and instinctively drawn to new guinea pigs that look similar to them and evoke a family connection in my own long term owner experience and after lots of bondings; some more than others. I found it interesting when any newly adopted rescue-born babies would usually choose the most similar looking adult in their group as their personal guardian and teacher through the 'school weeks' between weaning and teenage.
While some guinea pig breeds and coat patterns go back hundreds and likely thousands of years (considering that domesticated guinea pigs go back 3000-6000 years), most core groups consist of a breeding group of often closely related sows, so the family look wiring is still kicking and alive to a certain degree. It does however not necessarily come with automatic acceptance into a group.

Like other pet species, guinea pigs will however always recognise other domestic breeds as belonging to their species and as part of the general breeding pool whereas wild guinea pigs and domestic guinea pigs do no longer interbreed and show significant differences both in their behaviour, physiognomy (including brain size and how they use their brains) and biology - wild cavy species have a distinct breeding season over the summer half year with 3-4 litters while domesticated guinea pigs can breed nonstop.

I have written an extensive article series for Guinea Pig Magazine over the last year and the start of this year exploring various aspects of guinea pig social identity and their rather complex social life. You may find it interesting. The series runs from issue #63 - #70.
Home - Guinea Pig Magazine

Guinea pigs definitely don't discriminate based on coat colour or texture or other external factors in the way that people may. Visual cues are probably not that important to them at all, as their vision is less than stellar. I've never really seen my pigs react at all to seeing their reflections or other guinea pigs on screens, since I don't think they necessarily recognize another guinea pig without scent/sound. They will react to guinea pig noises from a pig on a screen, but not image alone. And when my daughter visits another friend who has guinea pigs, they are very interested in smelling her when she gets back. They clearly recognize that another pig has left scent on her even though the pig isn't physically there to look at.

Interestingly, tests have been done on animals to see if they recognize that the animal in the mirror is, in fact, themselves. Basically, a harmless mark is put on the animal somewhere they can't see it themselves. They are shown their image in the mirror and observed to see if they identify the mark and try to removed it based on the mirrored image (it follows that you won't try to remove something you see in the mirror if you don't understand you're looking at your own image.) Most animals aren't capable of recognizing themselves in a mirror, at least as evidenced by this test, but some animals, including apes, rays, dolphins, cleaner wrasse fish, orcas, and a species of magpie/crow. However, sight isn't the predominant means of identification for a lot of animals so it's possible other animals have an awareness of self that is evidenced in reactions to smells, etc.

I have always thought it's neat that animals, having never really "seen" themselves, are instinctively able to recognize others of their species. Dogs always notice other dogs, cats always notice other cats, and guinea pigs always notice other guinea pigs! Once we had a pig who lost her companion and we had a new pig quarantined for a couple of weeks before we introduced them. At one point our pig spotted the new pig across the room and got very excited... she could clearly either see or smell another pig and wanted to check it out!

I also think it's neat that pigs can recognize humans by sound/smell. My pigs can tell us apart by footsteps, they know who feeds them when and they get excited when they hear the footsteps of the human that is bringing food at that time. They also know our voices... once I was picking up one of my pigs, Linney, from the vet after surgery. She had been there all day. The vet tech brought her out from the back in her carrier while I was settling up the bill with the front desk staff- she was sitting quietly but as soon as she heard my voice she perked up her ears, stood up straighter, lifted her head, started chewing... she definitely knew it was me. It really did my heart good because with any pet it's sometimes hard to know what they understood, but she was obviously really happy that mom came to get her!

Back