• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why does My guinea pig have crusty eyes?

MollythePiggylover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our eldest piggie Hazel has a little crust in one eye not too bad, just a little. She's never had this before so I thought that was weird, She's about 3 years old so I don't know if this is because she's aging. I also noticed that she sneezed a few times (which she always does), but she's still active and acting the same.

Our eldest piggie Hazel has a little crust in one eye not too bad, just a little. She's never had this before so I thought that was weird, She's about 3 years old so I don't know if this is because she's aging. I also noticed that she sneezed a few times (which she always does), but she's still active and acting the same.

Hi!

Are you dealing with a milky white crust (i.e. not fully reabsorbed cleaning fluid), a translucent crust from dried tear fluid, which indicates an irritation or injury in the eye that the watery fluid is trying to wash out or thick green/yellow/orangey mucussy crusts (which is the result of a well developed infection of the upper respiratory tract). Please be aware that those thick crusts the consequence of an untreated infection and not a symptom that is connected with the onset of a bacterial respiratory infection. Since guinea pigs don't have viral colds like humans, sneezing is only a symptom of a URI if it happens lots of times in an hour for hours on end and is not just a one-off sneeze to clear the nose at the end of a piggy wash or a one-off sneezing fit to get an irritant our of the nose.

Does this help you? New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

She doesn't sneeze crazily maybe every few hours but not every hour and she doesn't do it every minute if you know what I mean, The crust I'm dealing with is not mucusy but it is a light tannish color. She's acting very normal and active, shes eating and drinking and there are no other symptoms of URI here.

Back