• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why do my sows suddenly stink?

• Thread starter Thread starter mamapie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mamapie

Really pongy musky smell. When I pick either of them up which ever hand is holding the rear ends up sticky and smelling the same. What ever it is is clear. Ideas? They're 9 months old btw, I've had them nearly 6 weeks and it's not happened before!

Maybe they have an uti,the strong urine can smell. Get a shampoo from gorgeous guineas,I suggest the 3 oil one,and give them a bath.If they continue to be smelly it would be a good idea to take them to a vet ,with a urine sample if you can get one,because they may need an antibiotic.Septrin is the best one for uti.

Are the pigs long haired?,it could just be that they have been sitting in urine,and as the weather has been warm,this could make them smelly.

I was just gonna say that karen lol. It sounds more like boars. If they are def sows get um to the vets I think

They are both sows - I was at the vets last week and she's seen them before and checked!

It's not a urine smell at all - more like musk. Neither are off the their food, or less active etc, just smell! So I should take them to the Vet? What could it be? Actually my other half thinks they just need a bath as it has only been since the weather is warm. But would that make it sticky?

Really worrying now! Other half thinks they're on their period.... :o

Could they be in season?  If their hormones are raging i wonder if it's a "come get me" scent?

Niki said:
Could they be in season? If their hormones are raging i wonder if it's a "come get me" scent?

That's what I was wondering - but would this happen without any boars around? I mean the smell is the only thing different, they don't seem to be in pain or anything.

Yip, sounds defo like a "come get me" smell.........my two girls were fine till we introduced Spike to them in a cage next to them, now i'm almost changing them every two days......no change in their behaviour or feeding, except Spike parading himself at their cage bars (even though he's still half their size, really comical 98))

Well er....we gave them a bath and they smell fine....not more weird smell. Tis a mystery!

Hey i defenatly know the answer :D

It can be urine, Check the fur outside the vaginal area for crust for it could be a build up of discharge, Maybe even period(If they are in season.)

But check if there boars. Just wiggle above the penis until the penis erects out. (It will be red like a dog and be a little pointed)

But if it dosent come out and its a Y shape then its a sow. O0

This is perfect for males for atleaste everyday boars cum. :o ?

If they are boars get a wet cotton bud and clean around the penis and scrotum.

Much prefered though is wash them under a warm(Not hot!) Tap.

Hope you tke in my advice ^-^

Hope i helped! ;D

Oh yeah and if you have a boar and a sow there havin to much sex or the sow is pregnant :smitten:

Thanks - but as I said the vet did check and they are both girls, they've always been together and they're 9 months old now so no babies are on their way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back