• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why a red foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Feeding Duke this afternoon and noticed he had a red foot, there's no swelling and nothing i can see could be doing this.
I know he basically just sits around these days :( so he's been on towels for sleeping since way before Christmas and i've added bubblewrap under his newspapers as well.
The setup is as follows: bubblewrap turned upside down so he doesn't accidentally pop a bubble, then thick layers of newspaper and then a thick layer of hay, in his sleeping areas (he has two) i've got towels if it's not too hot and on hot days a thinner tea towel.
Do you think i should swap to all towels? Or should i be soaking his little feet or putting a lotion on them?
Would appreciate some help, thanks

Glynis and Duke xxxxx

more foot problems its amazing, think you just need to keep an eye on it it might be that he is lazy and is sitting on it all day, or it could be dry, dont worry too much I'm sure he will be fine, come on Duke buck your ideas up mummys worried about you :-* :-*

aww, love to Duke :-* :-*

Icey and Tiny have red-ish feet, cos they tend to be sooooooo lazy and not move around!

Thanks Michelle and Kelly
I thought it maybe cause of him just sitting around all day, i was hoping you experienced piggy girls would be around to help me on this one. I'd hate to leave anything and discover i was making his life even more difficult :(
He's a bright little guy at the moment, not eating a heck of a lot but hey he'll have his CC 4 times a day with the pureed fruits and does try to eat more veges, just discovered he likes to nibble on corn again :-*
Duke says thanks and to send piggie kisses to his mates, some who've not been too good lately we do think of you all :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Glynis said:
i've added bubblewrap under his newspapers as well.

bubblewrap turned upside down so he doesn't accidentally pop a bubble,
Glynis and Duke xxxxx

lol i was going to say... i bet he had fun popping the bubbles lol

message to Duke from Dobbys mum, thanks for your good wishes but my darling boy died today at around midday, I miss him badly and wanted to thank you for thinking about my special little boy he really was a special little man, you be good to your mummy and eat your veggies up God bless Dobby love from his mummy :'(

Duke has just heard about his little friend Dobby, we'd just read and posted our condolences to you all :'( :'( :'( :'(
We both know just what you were going thru, he'll be at peace now and munching on lots of grass and clover
Duke's mummy is very very upset for you and so is Duke, sending lots of piggie kisses to you and all the family :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I would get someone to check over the foot as red feet can be a sign of a skin infection, or it could be causing discomfort. What kind of bedding do you use? It could be nothing but it can't hurt to make sure :)

Thanks Susie :-*
Well he has hay in all areas, but both ends of the cage he has towels for comfort.
He does tend to just sit all day now he's not too motivated and the weather has been so hot that it's been affecting him too.
He'll be going back to the vets probably soon as i think his teefies are playing up again, hasn't lasted even two weeks this time :( so will get them to do the full body check up

If he is not moving around very much,the inflammed pad could be caused by urine scald,I use Baby Bottom cream for this{available from Waitrose}although any nappy rash cream will do.The cream makes a soothing barrier against the urine. Mary

Hey that's OK love.
You know Duke he's forever doing something to himself.
His little feet are still red, but not any worse and the girls have checked him out at the vets (got lots of piggies) and not to worry at the moment, but i'm to keep an eye on things.
Yes it could be his urine also, that's why i change his towels a few times a day, forever doing his washing :-* but i don't mind.
Thanks all :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back