Whoops Clipped That Too Short

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkiegirl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
clipped George's nails earlier this evening. Did 2 just fine, then he squirmed as I did the third and I cut it a bit shorter than I meant to. Boy did it bleed! It is only a fraction shorter than the other two nails, but it bled for ages. He has dark brown nails so it is hard to see where to cut. I left his other paws for another day!

Try not to worry too much. I have caught the quick several times and have found pressure using a tissue helps stop the bleeding. It is not that painful for them, but it is probably more of a shock for you.

Sometimes even clipping where you're sure it is OK to clip brings a little blood. I use cornflower but you can also use Bob Martin's Antiseptic Dusting Powder which is used for dogs. If it's a really bad bleed I would use Witch Hazel. I've never cut one that bad but one of the foster piggies I looked after in the Summer tore one of his nails badly & I used Witch Hazel followed by Cornflower.

If there's any doubt, then a little often is the best thing rather than once a month. Now as well as helping out at Bunny Burrows on cleaning duties on alternate Wednesdays I also go there the first Saturday of every Month to cut the piggies nails. There's lots of different temperaments but only 2 slight blood shows so far. Try to lay them between your legs with a towel round them just exposing the foot you're working on. Even have the towel over their head which also keeps them calm

It's definitely more of a shock for you then him, although my first time cutting too short I got almost hysterical! It's like when we cut too short - the pain lasts for seconds :) Don't worry/feel too bad! It happens to everyone :)

he is fine today, have had him out for some floor time and he was absolutely fine. He sat on the rug with his brother Reese and had a good trot round the living room. It bled a fair bit, I knew it would be ok, scared my 9 year old I think!

I have caught mine before.Black nails are a nightmare.Mine didn't even squeal. .Only realised when found the blood on the towel

ah I'm such a wuss for cutting nemmys nails because he has the most black ones, he tends to have short white ones and long black ones haha must stop chickening out the boy thing

I know your pain. One of my girls has all black nails except for one ginger one which is always shorter than the black ones. And her nails are so sharp if I don't cut them regularly. It's a nightmare.

I have a George with brown nails too and I hate cutting them. Luckily he has one paw with white nails which I use as a guide :) I've never cut too short before though ( hope I never will! P)

I hate cutting my guinea pigs' nails too. Oskar, has pink nails, and are super easy to cut! However. Woody has .. TOTALLY black nails. Its terrible. And i got absolutely terrified the first time i cut them too short and i made then bleed! Another tip to add onto the others are maybe: keep the ground clean, so there doesnt come any bacteria and makes the nail very dirty and maybe he could get an infection.

Yeah I have the same problem because my boys have dark fur so it's the same! I read one you cut them too short they don't stop bleeding! But I'm not an expert though :hmm:

What is the best thing to use to cut them I'm new to this and both my girls are ready for theirs trimming one with all black nails too:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back