Who is dominant?

Kay701

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had my two girlies for three months now and am still confused over who is dominant! I think it's Honey, but am unsure.

Honey is bigger and more confident in some ways; she was less scared of me to start with, was the first to start napping in the open and in the early weeks would also take possession of their favourite hideout (which they do usually share) and not let Waffle in. However I've seen this happen both ways, it seems a lot more even since they've settled down. Honey sometimes does stick her bum in front of Waffle to prevent her getting to the hay pile (they always seem to want what the other has, despite there being two food bowls, three hay piles, three hideouts, five cardboard boxes...!) Also when I was getting them used to being handled, I figured out that I should pick up Waffle first because Waffle was always more scared if she heard Honey complaining a bit. Now they're both fine with it so it doesn't matter which way round.

They both nip each other occasionally and make each other squeak, and I've seen both of them win in a head-off. I've also seen both of them rumbling and bum-wiggling and stealing each others food (Waffle in particular is adept at stealing). They never chatter teeth at each other or chase each other and are usually chatty with each other, do stuff together and sleep together about 50% of the time they sleep. Waffle is more curious, she explored more in the early weeks and would run to tell Honey what she'd found and take her out to see! and she is also the wheekiest!

They're such sweet and funny babies with quite different personalities and seem to get on really well, it just doesn't seem really clear who is dominant. My guess is still Honey, but clearly she's not that dominant as they are pretty equal.

(On a side note, recently Honey has been rumble strutting a lot (which doesn't seem to bother Waffle at all) she's doing it multiple times a day every day for the past week. Is this a strong season? or is she asserting dominance? or should I be worried about cysts as it's been going on for an uncharacteristically long time? she is about 1 year 1 month old)

I've had my two girlies for three months now and am still confused over who is dominant! I think it's Honey, but am unsure.

Honey is bigger and more confident in some ways; she was less scared of me to start with, was the first to start napping in the open and in the early weeks would also take possession of their favourite hideout (which they do usually share) and not let Waffle in. However I've seen this happen both ways, it seems a lot more even since they've settled down. Honey sometimes does stick her bum in front of Waffle to prevent her getting to the hay pile (they always seem to want what the other has, despite there being two food bowls, three hay piles, three hideouts, five cardboard boxes...!) Also when I was getting them used to being handled, I figured out that I should pick up Waffle first because Waffle was always more scared if she heard Honey complaining a bit. Now they're both fine with it so it doesn't matter which way round.

They both nip each other occasionally and make each other squeak, and I've seen both of them win in a head-off. I've also seen both of them rumbling and bum-wiggling and stealing each others food (Waffle in particular is adept at stealing). They never chatter teeth at each other or chase each other and are usually chatty with each other, do stuff together and sleep together about 50% of the time they sleep. Waffle is more curious, she explored more in the early weeks and would run to tell Honey what she'd found and take her out to see! and she is also the wheekiest!

They're such sweet and funny babies with quite different personalities and seem to get on really well, it just doesn't seem really clear who is dominant. My guess is still Honey, but clearly she's not that dominant as they are pretty equal.

(On a side note, recently Honey has been rumble strutting a lot (which doesn't seem to bother Waffle at all) she's doing it multiple times a day every day for the past week. Is this a strong season? or is she asserting dominance? or should I be worried about cysts as it's been going on for an uncharacteristically long time? she is about 1 year 1 month old)

Hi

Plenty of short-term hormonal rumble-strutting in young sows, especially teenagers, is generally a sign that they are coming into season. These are usually strongest around 6 months but the odd strong season can happen at any age.

In adult sows persistent rumble-strutting and stroppy behaviour can point towards hormonally active ovarian cysts; most commonly around 2-4 years but they can start earlier and run into older age as well although later on 'silent' fluid filled cysts will become more frequent.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

The rule of thumb with guinea pigs is: If you cannot spot the leader, then it doesn't matter to your piggies, either. There is a leader but they are obviously not feeling the need to throw their weight around in order to ensure their position. Count yourself lucky. It means a solid and happy bond. The more insecure or challenged a leader, the more dominance you will see. ;)

Hi

Plenty of short-term hormonal rumble-strutting in young sows especially teenagers is generally a sign that they are coming into season. These are usually strongest around 6 months but the odd strong season can happen at any age.

In adult sows persistent rumble-strutting and stroppy behaviour can point towards an ovarian cyst; most commonly around 2-4 years but they can start earlier and run into older age as well although later 'silent' fluid filled cysts will become more frequent.
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

The rule of thumb with guinea pigs is: If you cannot spot the leader, then it doesn't matter to your piggies, either. There is a leader but they are obviously not feeling the need to throw their weight around in order to ensure their position. Count yourself lucky. It means a solid and happy bond. The more insecure or challenged a leader, the more dominance you will see. ;)
Thank you! will keep an eye on the rumbling:)

I think I've worked out why the rumble strutting was happening a lot- I'd recently expanded their cage area and I think honey was asserting her dominance in their new territory!

They have a funny and adorable habit of rumble strutting and popcorning round each other in a circle in their two favourite (and biggest) hideouts 😂

Back