White spots (help with food)

Piff12

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm back again. Today I noticed more white spots on the bedding than usual, and they were chalky. We've always had a few chalky spots, but this is way more than usual. Maybe the blue fleece brings them out more, idk. Is this cause for concern? They are both 3-4 months old. Their diet is:

2 tbsp of pellets (alfalfa since they are babies, should I change this)

2 cups of fresh veggies (red leaf or green leaf daily, green or red pepper daily, cucumber a few times a week, cilantro a few times a week and small piece of kale once a week)

Unlimited timothy hay

Always filtered water from my fridge. Any advice on changing up anything here?

Thanks a lot. 20210318_110054.webp20210318_110125.webp20210318_110059.webp20210318_110054.webp20210318_110125.webp20210318_110059.webp20210318_110054.webp20210318_110125.webp20210318_110059.webp

They do get rid of excess calcium in the urine, but what you don’t want is to be seeing it a lot.
They don’t need alfalfa pellets, they can be on normal adult pellets from birth. A handful of alfalfa (as in the long strands of hay like product (although it isnt a grass hay so cannot be fed exclusively)) is only really needed for tiny babies (before weaning age which is around 3 weeks of age) and pregnant sows.

Also just to add, cucumber and cilantro can safely be fed daily.

Alfalfa is only needed until they’re weaned. Beyond that it’s too high in calcium. So at their age they definitely don’t need it. I would cut those pellets out and feed them one tablespoon of (grass based) pellets a day.

For now give them more watery veg such as cucumber and lettuce. And cut out the kale for now.

Thank you both very much! I'll pull the pellets and add more watery food! Also, helpful to know cilantro and cucumber can be fed daily. Red/green peppers and red/green leaf lettuce is also okay daily, correct? I'll cut out the kale for a bit. Thanks again!

Thank you both very much! I'll pull the pellets and add more watery food! Also, helpful to know cilantro and cucumber can be fed daily. Red/green peppers and red/green leaf lettuce is also okay daily, correct? I'll cut out the kale for a bit. Thanks again!

Yes lettuce is fine daily

the two guides below will help you. The first guide has a sample plate of things which are fine to be fed daily

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Back