• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White chalky urine

Pigglemama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Simba my one year old boar’s pee dries like this- should I be worried? He has green pepper, cucumber, courgette and a little bit of gem lettuce a day. Less than a cup full. Loads of hay, as in piles of it! No pellets just a vitamin C cookie and filtered water. Worried he will end up with a bladder stone- we lost Muffin last year to one.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    70.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9158.webp
    IMG_9158.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
Simba my one year old boar’s pee dries like this- should I be worried? He has green pepper, cucumber, courgette and a little bit of gem lettuce a day. Less than a cup full. Loads of hay, as in piles of it! No pellets just a vitamin C cookie and filtered water. Worried he will end up with a bladder stone- we lost Muffin last year to one.

Hi

Please check whether your diet may actually be a bit too low in calcium; either side of the sweet spot in the diet (which is locally a bit different everywhere).

Are you filtering the water because that is often where most of the calcium in the diet comes from; especially in a hard water country like the UK?

Hi

Please check whether your diet may actually be a bit too low in calcium; either side of the sweet spot in the diet (which is locally a bit different everywhere).

Are you filtering the water because that is often where most of the calcium in the diet comes from; especially in a hard water country like the UK?
Yes water is filtered due to us living in a very hard water area. I don’t give pellets as I worry about too much calcium! Maybe that’s were I’m going wrong!

Yes water is filtered due to us living in a very hard water area. I don’t give pellets as I worry about too much calcium! Maybe that’s were I’m going wrong!

It sounds to me like you could have been going a bit too low.

I still feed 1 tablespoon of pellets for the protein and I still feed a slice of greens once a week for the magnesium and herbs (not daily) for trace elements.

I agree with wiebke. A bit too low!

Mine get a little more than one cup of veg but they get lettuce, coriander, pepper and cucumber daily. I give pellets twice a week but on the other days they get some dried forage leaves instead (sprinkled into hay)

I agree with wiebke. A bit too low!

Mine get a little more than one cup of veg but they get lettuce, coriander, pepper and cucumber daily. I give pellets twice a week but on the other days they get some dried forage leaves instead (sprinkled into hay)
They have coriander and leafy greens a few times a week and dried forage too. I’ll definitely give them some pellets tho. x

Back