• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White bump on ear

Lou-Melapis

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My boar of nearly three years, Storm, has recently developed a small, white bump on his ear. It's only on the backside near the edge, and is clearly raised. The skin above feels 'strained', similar to human pimples, but there seems to be no inflamation, reddening or anything similar. The bump isn't visible from the other side of the ear and I haven't noticed any significant weight loss, itching, pain or other changes. He doesn't mind me touching or messing with the bump at all. It has been growing in size, but is still very small. What could it be, and what can I do?

I cannot currently afford to take him to a vet. If I could, I would, and when I can, I will.

Do you have a picture you could share?

Unfortunately the best thing would be to get him to the vet, but I do understand that can be tricky.
It could be a range of things, perhaps a pimple or a small cyst, but it could also be fungal etc. so it would be best to get him seen.

Do you have a picture you could share?

Unfortunately the best thing would be to get him to the vet, but I do understand that can be tricky.
It could be a range of things, perhaps a pimple or a small cyst, but it could also be fungal etc. so it would be best to get him seen.
Yes, here are the pictures I managed to take. It's not at all visible from the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_20230601_204428.webp
    IMG_20230601_204428.webp
    87.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230601_204629.webp
    IMG_20230601_204629.webp
    53.1 KB · Views: 9
I’d keep an eye on it. It does look like a pimple but I don’t know if piggies can get them. 🤷🏻‍♀️

If it starts to look red and swollen or increases in size I’d get it checked out by a vet.

It does look like a pimple, or perhaps a small sebaceous cyst although they are not technically the same, and you are more likely to find cysts on the back and rear end.

Piggies can get pimples, you will mostly find them on their ears (the pimple like ones), but I am not entirely sure why.
As said above I would just keep an eye on it, it will likely come off and leave a little red dot behind.

Thank you both! I will keep a look on things. Where can I read more on sebaceous cysts?

I doubt you will find much about such in guinea pigs, but online generally you can find information.

A sebaceous cyst is basically a pimple, when an sebaceous gland (oil gland) gets infected/clogged, it creates what we know as a "pimple". It can range from a pimple to a more serious cyst, which may end up needing extracted.
Saskia from Los Angeles GP rescue has a couple videos on the more serious cysts, you will see they are generally found on the back and rear, as I imagine could be caused/aggravated by the grease gland.

There is some great information about different lumps and bumps here - Guinea Lynx :: Lumps - but nothing really about pimples or anything.

Back