• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White bit at top of eye

machuandpicchumummy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve recently taken in a couple of new girls from a friend and one of them has this little white bit on the top of her eye. Only on one side. Does anyone know what this is please? I’m not widening her eye here so this is permanently visible.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.webp
    IMG_1523.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 1
I’ve recently taken in a couple of new girls from a friend and one of them has this little white bit on the top of her eye. Only on one side. Does anyone know what this is please? I’m not widening her eye here so this is permanently visible.

Hi

She also has part of a ring at the bottom of the front. My guess is osseus metaplasia (bony tissue replacing eye tissue in a jagged ring around the eye. Choristoma is the same process as a localised spot in the cornea. It's harmless and painfree; and nothing can be done about it.
Guinea Lynx :: Eyes

If in any doubt, please see a vet. We can only guess.

Here is a picture of my Maelog with his more advanced osseous metaplasia (the jagged ring around the eye. Seeing it in another ruby-eyed guinea pig may help you better. it is not uncommon, especially in older piggies.
IMG_3300_edited-1.webp

Hi

She also has part of a ring at the bottom of the front. My guess is osseus metaplasia (bony tissue replacing eye tissue in a jagged ring around the eye. Choristoma is the same process as a localised spot in the cornea. It's harmless and painfree; and nothing can be done about it.
Guinea Lynx :: Eyes

If in any doubt, please see a vet. We can only guess.

Here is a picture of my Maelog with his more advanced osseous metaplasia (the jagged ring around the eye. Seeing it in another ruby-eyed guinea pig may help you better. it is not uncommon, especially in older piggies.
View attachment 257165
That’s really helpful thanks. I’ll get her checked out. She’s only 2 so not old. Does it continue to get worse as they get older?

That’s really helpful thanks. I’ll get her checked out. She’s only 2 so not old. Does it continue to get worse as they get older?

Hi

Yours is only in the earlier stages. What it does is narrow the field of sight but she won't go blind. She will just have to move her head around a bit more on that side but since it is a gradual process she's just adapt. It is more unsightly than anything. ;)

It can be a genetic disposition in play in your case, similar to congenital cataracts (young onset ones) and old age cataracts.

Hi

Yours is only in the earlier stages. What it does is narrow the field of sight but she won't go blind. She will just have to move her head around a bit more on that side but since it is a gradual process she's just adapt. It is more unsightly than anything. ;)

It can be a genetic disposition in play in your case, similar to congenital cataracts (young onset ones) and old age cataracts.
Thank you for the help. I’ll get her checked out by our vet. I just thought it was the whites of her eyes like in my other piggies which is slightly visible.

I’ve just been watching her and she does keep squinting in that eye and does usually have a bit of dried gunk around it. Is that normal for this condition? She’s booked in for a weeks time but do you think she needs to be seen sooner?

I’ve just been watching her and she does keep squinting in that eye and does usually have a bit of dried gunk around it. Is that normal for this condition? She’s booked in for a weeks time but do you think she needs to be seen sooner?

Hi

If you suspect an ulcerating injury, then please see a vet sooner they can happen on the edge of the eye as well.

There is only so much we can do with a picture nd your description - and why we never can replace a hands-on vet examination.

Back