• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Whisper's Spay dilemma

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Following on from my previous thread, I've now got a dilemma about Whisper's spay appointment. I have spoken to the vets about her having a companion with her on the day because she came home from her ultrasound shaking as I took her on her own. I detected from the phone call that they were not too keen on her having a companion a she would need to be alone while coming round from the op. I can see the reasoning behind that comment, but Whisper has a close bond with her 2 companions and I would rather her see a familiar face rather than wake up and be somewhere strange and be frightened.
Rather than asking advice, I would be interested on others' experiences/thoughts?

I think personally it would be preferable for a companion to go, but then as @piggieminder has said it can also be a traumatic experience for them too!
Your piggy will be given a pre med before the surgery which will make her drowsy, and she will be sleepy afterwards too which may help to keep her calmer this time!

Hector accompanied Kiki when she had her operation. All the staff said they were snuggled up together post op, Hector keeping Kiki warm. I think companionship is a big plus and my vets encourage it

My vets are happy for companions (both piggy pairs and rabbit pairs in my case) to stay with the patient.
It can be upsetting for both to be in a strange environment but I’m pretty sure if I had one at the vet and the other at home then they would both be upset without their friend anyway.

Back