whimpering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi as you can tell we are asking lots of questions about our piggies you must be sick of them anyway if anyone can help our guinea pigs whimper it sounds like a dog is this them speaking to each other or crying we have read up for months before buying them but nothing seems to be going the way the books tell you i think we are more stressed now than when we had our son

If the piggy is making a whimpering noise it could be in pain.How old is the piggy and is it a boar or sow?.Is the piggy eating and moving normally?.

Mary

Hi

The piggy is a sow and about 8 weeks old she makes the noise when the other one comes near her I am not sure if she is scared of the other another sow same age which we are told are sisters but the sound is like a dog when it is crying the other seems to be the boss chasing this one about but they do seem healthy and are eating ok they both have mad half hours running about

You can ask as many questions as you like somebody will have the answer.
But I don't have the answer to this one ;D

Hi Danny, Sorry about all the questions,but how long have the girls been together and is it 2 or 3 sows you have?. I am not quite clear whether the sow that is whimpering is with her sister,or whether she is with 2 other sows who are sisters?..If it is the latter,it is possible she is being bullied and the whimpering is a fear noise.As she is eating and running around it is unlikely that she is in pain.Do you weigh your piggies?,weight loss would be an indication of stress.Sows hate being on their own and really need the company of other pigs,but sometimes a sow can be so bossy by nature she will terrorize her companions.A small 8 week old baby would be an easy target.Hopefully.bossy boots will calm down soon.If the baby has recently been introduced to 2 sisters,there could be a bit of jealousy,but this should calm down,and as the baby grows she will be able to defend herself.Just keep an eye on her and make sure she continues to eat,and does not sit huddled in a corner.,and weigh her on a regular basis,
Mary

thanks mary we have 2 sows they are both from same litter we have only had them for a week nearlly but one was bullying the other they dont seem as bad now but because we are not used to the noises they make they sound so pathetic it sounds as though they are sad but sometimes they make the same noise and they are playing the one who does most of it is the one that was being bullied but out of the two she is the most friendly and the most playful the other is a bit of a misserable piggie and more nasty she bashes her teeth together asthough warning us to get lost

Hi, I do n ot think you need to worry.Sisters should be o.k.together.In any group of pigs,male or female,there has to be a top dog.This applies whether their are just 2 pigs or a larger group.The bossier pig is just establishing her supperior position.Pigs have quite a selection of noises and some can sound alarming.You will soon get to distinguish these sounds and know what they mean.
What size pen/cage are they in?,piggies do need plenty of room to run around and they need hidey holes so they can get away from each other sometimes.Give them as large accomodation as possible and provide them with an igloo,or similar,each.Good luck,and let us know how you get on.

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back