Which hay?

Guineapoops2022

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there I'm just looking for some advice on types of hay please. I have noticed the last few bags from p@h Timothy and meadow mix have been pretty rubbish lots of chunks of mud dangerous pieces of hay easily could cause a bad eye injury and feathers in one bag. Which hay do you use please?

There are a few threads that ask the same and there are lots of votes for the Happy Hay Company (my current place) and Haybox if you are happy to go online. The hay is good from both but they manage to cram more in a box with happy hay and so storage is better for me.

I use Haybox and order online - they have many varieties but my boys prefer Timothy hay soft cut. With an order you can then order free sample boxes of other types of hay to try.
You can have whatever quantity you want. They also sell other things….forage, wicker chew tunnels/ baskets, carrot houses etc.

I buy Pasture Hay. My piggy has grown up on it and won't eat any other hay! It's grass hay that can be fed daily and is much cheaper than Timothy or Meadow hay.

Great help guys so overall which type do you think will be best? Would it be ok to buy Timothy and meadow mix and if they are happy stay on that for life? Or is it best to stick to Timothy only / meadow only ? Many thanks!

Great help guys so overall which type do you think will be best? Would it be ok to buy Timothy and meadow mix and if they are happy stay on that for life? Or is it best to stick to Timothy only / meadow only ? Many thanks!

You can give a mix. Some piggies like the variety.
The reality is though that any grass hay is absolutely fine even if you only ever feed one type

Back