Which gender and how many?

SaffronC17

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I haven't had piggies for over a year and feel like half the knowledge about owning them has fallen out my head! I'm looking at bringing guinea pigs back into my life but can't decide what gender would be best.
I'm setting up a c&c cage that has 15 square feet of space. I ideally would like to have 4 piggies. My first question is whether this is enough space for 4 piggies. Secondly, I had been thinking about having all girls in the herd... is this OK or is it better to add a neutered boar in as well? If so, can someone please explain why? Thanks 😊 xx

I haven't had piggies for over a year and feel like half the knowledge about owning them has fallen out my head! I'm looking at bringing guinea pigs back into my life but can't decide what gender would be best.
I'm setting up a c&c cage that has 15 square feet of space. I ideally would like to have 4 piggies. My first question is whether this is enough space for 4 piggies. Secondly, I had been thinking about having all girls in the herd... is this OK or is it better to add a neutered boar in as well? If so, can someone please explain why? Thanks 😊 xx
It's great you are thinking of getting piggies again, and your cage size sounds good for 3-4 piggies.
How many grids is it?

I would suggest you approach a local rescue and enquire about what groups they have available.
Groups are always harder to rehome so I am sure they would be grateful for the offer.
That way you would also be sure of getting a properly health checked and bonded group, as opposed to ending up with mis matched piggies bought from a pet shop.

It's great you are thinking of getting piggies again, and your cage size sounds good for 3-4 piggies.
How many grids is it?

I would suggest you approach a local rescue and enquire about what groups they have available.
Groups are always harder to rehome so I am sure they would be grateful for the offer.
That way you would also be sure of getting a properly health checked and bonded group, as opposed to ending up with mis matched piggies bought from a pet shop.
I haven't finished building it yet but looks like it will end up being 6x4 grids. I've checked my local rescue and they actually just adopted out the last piggies they had. My next nearest rescue is just over 30 minutes away and I don't know if that would be a bit too stressful of a drive for them... but I will keep looking around as I would prefer to adopt.
Is 3 or 4 girls typically ok? Obviously I know all guinea pigs are different but I don't want to go for 3/4 if its likely to cause arguments

I haven't finished building it yet but looks like it will end up being 6x4 grids. I've checked my local rescue and they actually just adopted out the last piggies they had. My next nearest rescue is just over 30 minutes away and I don't know if that would be a bit too stressful of a drive for them... but I will keep looking around as I would prefer to adopt.
Is 3 or 4 girls typically ok? Obviously I know all guinea pigs are different but I don't want to go for 3/4 if its likely to cause arguments

Piggies travel well, 30 minutes is nothing really! We have piggies on the forum who travel for many hours from all corners of the country just to get to a particular vet In Northampton

3-4 sows (with or without a neutered boar - although having a boar does add a certain dynamic to the herd! Boars are such characters!) is absolutely fine provided they are compatible and well bonded and this is why rescuing is best.

Both genders are great.if you want a mini herd,then sows can be in a herd.But i love neutered boars and boars in general.i have 4 groups with sows,3 with a neutered,and one group just with 3 sows.i will be looking for another neutered boar as i love this combination,just because boars have so much personality.
its advised only two boars together,boars as there is a much more of a fallout with 3~ 4 boars.only one neutered to as many compatable sows as space and time and money allows.
i agree going to a rescue if possible is the best way forward.Good luck.

I have a group of 3 girls and they all get on brilliantly. I did have a boar too in the herd but he sadly died in August. I would love another boar but I am not ready to replace him plus I am seriously considering winding down my piggy numbers.

I can fully recommend a group of 3 girls and a neutered boar as the dynamic of having a boar in the mix is so much fun but just having a group of 3-4 girls is also absolutely fine.

Piggies travel really well. The furthest I have travelled with my own piggies is a 3-4 hour drive and they have all been fine

Piggies travel well.
Mine often have to come to Yorkshire with me which is a 2.5 hour drive, unless there’s problems on the motorway in which case it’s longer.

I had a herd of 4 sows - a bonding of 2 pairs.
A neutered boar was added after one of the girls died, and he needed rescuing.

Back