Where to put the piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Whereabouts do you all keep your indoor piggies? Mine have been in the utility room, on the worksurface above the washing machine and tumble dryer until they moved to an outside hutch, but it's really a bit high and makes it difficult to clean the cage out (I can't lift it on my own).

I'm considering if there is somewhere else in the house that might be more suitable if I bring them indoors for the winter?

They can't really go in a room with carpet as they make too much mess with the hay and woodshavings. We did have them in the playroom at one point but the mess was horrendous, and anyway the fish tank is now in the space where I would have put them.

The only other option is the kitchen, which I don't think would be very hygenic to have animals in a room where I cook. And the only possible space would be to have the cage on the floor next to a radiator, which I think would be too hot.

They can't go in a bedroom, because of the mess, and the fact they might disturb the children (my room is out due to allergies, and animal-hating OH).

Ummm, I'm stuck now. Where could they go?

Mine are in the utility room I have a 5x2 housing 2 boars and a cage ontop of that housing 2 girls. I also have a 3x3 cage which houses my other two boars. Can you not change your uility around a little to get them to fit in there? Do you have a shed?

Mine are in my bedroom, which has carpet. If you ditch the woodshavings, its not actually that bad. ;D

If they are in the utility, they have to be on a surface otherwise they will obstruct access to the cupboards and/or fridge.

We have a shed but it's full of junk and there's no space unless dh will clear it out, and I'm not having any luck persuading him.

You could put them on fleece which would mean spot cleaning daily or changing them daily all depends how you feel about the mess but I have mine on fleece blankets at they are fine. Hardly any mess at all, nothing a quick run over with the hoover doesn't sort out (except when you clog the hoover up that is!) :D

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
You could put them on fleece which would mean spot cleaning daily or changing them daily all depends how you feel about the mess but I have mine on fleece blankets at they are fine. Hardly any mess at all, nothing a quick run over with the hoover doesn't sort out (except when you clog the hoover up that is!) :D

I do this all the time! Luckily I'm an expert at unblocking them as i used to be a cleaner ;D

I agree with Louise, fleece is very easy to clean, could you not build a surface for their cage? xx

All mine are in the sitting room which luckily is huge! I have a fairly old carpet which I hate but no point in getting a new one as the kids make far more mess than my piggies do plus I will be moving within 2 years. I let them all have several hours of floor time a day and put newspaper and vetbed down in their fave hidey places.

If you use fleece or vetbed, do you have to clean them out more often? I think that might be an option to cut down on the sneezing for me.

I clean mine out daily, if I have one of those days where I get nothing done (like yesterday) then I spot clean and clean the following day but I tend to do it everyday because the blankets don't absorb very well. You could use newspaper under the fleece I was doing this until Eccles started eating the newspaper.

Mine are on vetbed and get cleaned every 4th day, but i change the newspaper every other day because the wee soaks right through, mine love eating newpaper, i just leave them to it they've been fine up ti now ;D x

I've bought the vetbed, just need to dig out the indoor cage and set it all up this afternoon. Unless I think of something better, they're going back in the utility room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back